Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: reines and catstrack...this is why women

Post Re: reines and catstrack...this is why women

Quote Originally Posted by big easy View Post
    the only thing that matters is the point that I'm making that none of you will specifically address... and that point is that the people who are on the battlefield and their direct commanders are the ones who should be making the call...NOT politicians and civilians...

now...comprende?
    Hate to break it to you, but the President of the United States IS a politician and one who has rejected, time after time former directives from generals and field commanders who gave him information that he and his WH cronies didn't want to hear about what would happen in invading a soveriegn Arab country and occupying Iraq... and what's happened since. GW's dad, the former Pres Bush DID listen to his generals and field commanders ....and understood, because HE was a good student of history, that marching to Baghdad, occupying Iraq and the consequences, there of, were not worth the cost in US personnel.

The Pres,VP and a good deal of his cabinet never had to dodge a bullet, so why give them that underserved credit???. Saying that this admin listens to the commanders in the field only goes as far as they'll fire those who don't pony up and say what they want them to.

Oh, and I've talked to plenty of service people too...many are close friends. Service people, as do we all, wish for success in Iraq and I agree most do.... so that the sacrifice of blood and treasure is worth it. Another fact is that more people have died in Iraq in service, civilians, etc. than were lost on Sept.11, too...and bin Laden is still free and dying his beard now.

Fact is, that no matter how much sacrifice the US gives if there's not a political victory in Iraq...which the concept is so foreign to us in the US, but given the widespread religious differences in Iraq it's a hard row to hoe, if not impossible.

But, fine with me if you (who I think you're a good guy and believe what you think is true) that the field commanders/generals really do have ultimate say. But they don't unless they are squared with the Powers that Be in the Oval office, etal.

Re: reines and catstrack...this is why women

Whether racist or otherwise, its still a mindset of discrimination. And isn't that whats happening again by those you are saying want no women or gays in the military? Substitute race for gender or sexual preference and its the same story IMO.

Besides, gays have ALWAYS been in the military and its naieve to think otherwise.

My cousin is commander of his unit. He has no problem with women serving along side him. My very good friend is in Iraq for his second tour, same deal and my brother served in the Army Reserve for years (through Desert Storm) and he also had no problem with women in the military.

also..I know for a FACT U.S. military women marines set up prostitution rings during the first desert storm war.. I PERSONALLY know someone who was there and had NO reason to distort the truth...I've talked to others who have backed up this...not to mention MANY who got pregnant intentionally to GO BACK HOME.....
    I wonder how many U.S. military men marines wanted prostitution rings set up during Desert Storm.

the only point I've tried to make in this thread is that when it comes to women and gays, the commanders are the ones that should decide whether or not they are good for combat preparedness..
    And what makes you think they don't? Decide who's "combat-ready, that is. And if this is really your only point- then it sure seems to me that it's predicated on assuming that gays and women just couldn't ever be "combat-ready."
    I might agree with you as far as women go......but why on earth would you think that gay men wouldn't be just as "combat-ready" as straight men?
    I watched a show about women in the military and all the MST (military sexual trauma) they are being subjected to. It's really appalling. Maybe all these men who are afraid to have women serving alongside them just don't trust themselves to act like gentlemen.

And apparently they've lowered the standards for who can get into the military. So much so that they let in a slightly autistic young man...who ended up being let out of his contract because of his disability. So it's better to have what formerly would have been unacceptable hetero candidates in our military vs. completely acceptable gays and women? Crazy.

Carrie..you couldn't be more off base..this thread is not about whether or not we went to war..it was about who decides whether or not gays and women are on the front lines...

megan g... nothing else matters but winning.. if discrimination happens, so what?..this is not a social service office... it doesn't matter what your relatives or mine who have served say... it's about what those in high ranking positions say which is going to come from in depth analysis on combat readiness... "gays serving" is one thing.. but to be able to flaunt it in the barracks is another...

reines..it doesn't matter what you or I think..it should be left up to those who dodge the bullets and what their commanders think... acting like gentlemen?..hmmm