Spooky Tooth
Lost in My Dream: An Anthology 1968-1974

4 out of 5 stars
Reviewed for Coffeerooms by Mike Jefferson

Spooky Tooth, one of the most underrated and celebrated rock/blues underground powerhouses of the 60s and 70s, has been getting some well deserved attention in the past few years. In 2005, Repertoire Records gave the group's back catalogue the rock royalty treatment, remastering five of their albums in digital sound, adding bonus tracks and extensive liner notes featuring comments from Spooky's lead singer, Mike Harrison.

If you can't invest in the five overhauled CDs, Esoteric Records, which specializes in filling those unique holes in your album collection, has released "Lost in a Dream: The Spooky Tooth Anthology," a 2 Disc set that extracts plenty of powder keg platters from the group's recorded legacy.

From a historical perspective (and in order to separate itself from previous collections), "Anthology" includes two previously unreleased cuts recorded in 1968, B-sides of single releases, an early version of "Lost in a Dream," and remixes of tracks from the group's last album, "The Mirror."

"Anthology" differs from previous "best ofs' and greatest hits by delving deeper into the band's catalogue. Past packages have concentrated on cuts from Spooky's first, second, and fourth albums ("It's All About," "Spooky Two," and "The Last Puff"), neglecting platters five through seven ("You Broke My Heart...So I Busted Your Jaw," "Witness," and "The Mirror"), which is surprising given their wealth of worthy material.

If you're still spinning those dusty L.Ps or shrill sounding Danish Import CDs, then you'll immediately notice "Anthology's" marked improvement in sound. Call it super Spooky. Check out Bryson Graham's driving drums on "Cotton Growing Man;" the cymbals ring and the snare crackles, and Mike Harrison's grizzled vocal is so electrified he sounds like he's standing on the third rail at Grand Central Station holding a bucket of water.

More...