Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Barry Blew It On This One

Re: Barry Blew It On This One

I agree carrie -- but I think we all have to agree it was started by Gates... at least that's what the witnesses have reported ...

I agree with mtj though - that this has increased racial tensions in this country ... instead of improving them.
    MC

Re: Barry Blew It On This One

Yes -- page 8!
    MC

Post Re: Barry Blew It On This One

Carrie, ITA... you said that so eloquently!
    mtj- I'm not "sticking up for" Gates... just trying to get you to see that it's not black/white, right/wrong, either/or.
    I just don't think that Gates, as obnoxious as he was... deserved to be arrested.

Quote Originally Posted by carrie View Post
    if he had been yelling at someone in his own home... nothing would have happened...
    Um, no.
    If you people want to speculate on what the law dictates,
    please do your homework.
    Again, there are countless definitions in this thread about what "disorderly conduct" is.
    And yes, you can get arrested for it in your own home, or someone else's home.
    If the police are called to a scene, any scene,
    and you...like Gates...
    are making a mess of that scene by being unruly,
    irrational and loud...the police can arrest you for disorderly conduct.
    How hard is that to understand?
    It is a statute put on the books to enable police officers to diffuse a potentially ugly situation.
    I know someone who was arrested for disorderly conduct in his own home because he took it upon himself to be ugly, verbally abusive and disorderly.
    When the police were called to that scene, they arrested him for disorderly conduct.
    That charge was just as justifiable as the one against Gates.
    The difference is, that man humbly admitted he was out of control that night.
    And yes, the charges were dropped.
    Even though they applied.
    I hope all you "Gates Defenders" never have to endure verbal abuse.
    When you do, you might get why police officers use the charge of
    "disorderly conduct" to diffuse a situation.
    But y'all keep bashing this police officer, because... um...he did his job.

Wouldn't you agree that most people who are arrested for "disorderly conduct" are only arrested because that "disorderly conduct" might potentially be a threat to someone?
    It's hard to believe that Crowley actually thought this man was a threat... in his own house. Crowley surely knew what Gates was so upset about. How did arresting him "defuse" the situation?
    Nobody is "bashing" this cop. On the other hand... he doesn't get a pass on poor judgement just because he's a cop.

I don't think questioning a police officer's or anyone elses (including Gates) judgement is bashing. Nobody's perfect and everyone has lapses in judgement... appears to me there were two lapses... Gates starting it and Crowley continuing it. Also, I haven't seen anyone call Crowley bad names or saying he was a bad police officer... of course this is 8 pages os I may have missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by reines View Post
    Wouldn't you agree that most people who are arrested for "disorderly conduct" are only arrested because that "disorderly conduct" might potentially be a threat to someone?
    No, I don't agree with that at all.
    There does not have to be "perceived threat" in order to arrest someone for disorderly conduct.
    And the fact of the matter is,
    if Gates had responded in a rational manner,
    we wouldn't be discussing this.
    That is why I put the onus on him.
    It would be nice if Gates could get rid of that size large chip on his shoulder.
    I get the impression that if I walked down his street, and smiled at him while he stood in his front yard, I would get,
    "What you lookin' at whitey" in response.

Now I have read that the woman who made the original 911 call has also been lambasted for being a racist.
    Interesting, since the transcripts of the phone call contain no mention of her saying that either of the two men in question were black.
    A late thanks to Mini for the comment that this has only increased racial tension.
    It has.
    And I blame loud-mouth, uppity Gates for all of it.
    If he spent more time doing something constructive,
    than he does yelling "Whitey" and "Uncle Tom",
    the world of "racial relations" would be a better place.
    Maybe Obama should invite Reines and I down to 1600 for that "beer meeting".