Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Barry Blew It On This One

Post Re: Barry Blew It On This One

Quote Originally Posted by mtj View Post
    I guess you are not familiar with the term "disorderly conduct".
    That's what Gates was charged with.
    And those charges were dismissed? Why? If Gates had really been disorderly... why would they?
    C'mon folks... yelling is not disorderly conduct.
    The more I learn about this the more I'm convinced that yes, Gates was upset... but Crowley made it worse by arresting him.
    Do you seriously think that Crowley thought Gates was a threat to anyone???

Mini- there are all kinds of arcane laws on the books in every state that just aren't enforced all that often, if ever.

Oh come on Reines, charges get dismissed all the time.
    That doesn't mean the arresting officer was not warranted in pressing those charges.
    Disorderly conduct charges are not applied ONLY because of perceived threat.
    They are applied because someone is being "disorderly" as Gates was so CLEARLY being.
    And all Gates has done since this incident,
    is mouth off some more about how badly he was treated by "whitey".
    Give me a freaking break.
    If the man has been so mistreated by "whitey", how is it that he is a professor at Harvard?

Do you think Crowley really thought Gates was a threat to anyone?

From a legal dictionary:

Disorderly Conduct: Conduct likely to lead to a disturbance of the public peace or that offends public decency. It has been held to include the use of obscene language in public, fighting in a public place, blocking public ways, and making threats. Statutes against disorderly conduct must identify the specific acts that constitute it. The offense usually carries minor penalties.

As I stated earlier, Gates being a threat was not the issue. Gates being vulgar, loud mouthed and refusing to shut up was the issue. Gates TOTALLY over reacted. I will find no fault with a police officer arresting him for disorderly conduct. That arrest was completely warranted.

He was "vulgar"? What, exactly, did he say? I just don't think yelling is enough of a reason to be arrested for "disturbing the peace." Don't our police have better things to occupy their time with?
    Crowley should have done the wise and better thing and just walked away once he determined that their was no crime being committed.
    Too many cops let their egos get involved in situations like this, I think.

Doing the "yo momma" thing is vulgar in the eyes of many.

Don't our police have better things to occupy their time with?

Like what, responding to a report of a burglary?
    Gates has done nothing to further the cause of race relations.
    As long as their are people like him,
    racial tension will still run high and hot.

But Gates has denied saying any such thing.

I'm not talking about race relations... I just think Crowley over-reacted by arresting him.

And which came first? Did Gates develope a prickly sense of being discriminated against or at the least, treated unfairly just because he's black... or did society once again show him why the anger is justified?

What bothers me about your reaction, mtj, is that it seems to be all one-sided. I asked you before- can both parties be at fault?

Of course Gates denied saying the "yo momma" thing.
    Have you read Crowley's police report?
    The second the police showed up and said they were there as a result of a burglary report, Gates was on the phone bitching and screaming and demanding to talk to the police chief.
    This whole thing was the result of a mistaken impression a neighbor got, when she saw two men trying to break down a door.
    Any rational homeowner would have just provided identification and laughed off the mistake.
    Not Gates.
    He got on his high horse and made it another "issue of race",
    which it most certainly was not.
    You think CROWLEY over-reacted?
    Wow, you're entitled to your opinion but it seems very clear to me that Gates was the one who over reacted in this situation.