Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Barry Blew It On This One

Post Re: Barry Blew It On This One

Actually I believe Gates was involved w/ the civil rights movement so my bet is he has ben harrassed by police officers. They were talking about it on some news station last week. Secondly, my guess is most law abiding black men in America have been racially profiled at some point. You see small local news stories about things like this pretty regularly. Also, last time I checked yelling and being nasty to a cop isn't an arrestable offense... it's not right but I don't believe it is against the law...which is probably why the charges were dropped. Regardless, it IMO both sides overreacted...

Quote Originally Posted by carrie View Post
    Also, last time I checked yelling and being nasty to a cop isn't an arrestable offense...
    I guess you are not familiar with the term "disorderly conduct".
    That's what Gates was charged with.

Re: Barry Blew It On This One

The General Laws of Massachusetts

Go To:
    Next Section
    Previous Section
    Chapter Table of Contents
    MGL Search Page
    General Court Home
    Mass.gov

PART IV. CRIMES, PUNISHMENTS AND PROCEEDINGSIN CRIMINAL CASES

TITLE I. CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS

CHAPTER 272. CRIMES AGAINST CHASTITY, MORALITY, DECENCY AND GOOD ORDER

Chapter 272: Section 53. Penalty for certain offenses

Section 53. Common night walkers, common street walkers, both male and female, common railers and brawlers, persons who with offensive and disorderly acts or language accost or annoy persons of the opposite sex, lewd, wanton and lascivious persons in speech or behavior, idle and disorderly persons, disturbers of the peace, keepers of noisy and disorderly houses, and persons guilty of indecent exposure may be punished by imprisonment in a jail or house of correction for not more than six months, or by a fine of not more than two hundred dollars, or by both such fine and imprisonment.
    MC

I've heard of disorderly conduct but as the charges were dropped apparently they couldn't sustain the charges as the charges were dropped.

Also, Gates was put on a list in the 1960's of people that would be taken into custody when any civil rights disturbances occurred...

My post was just to point out that, legally, the officer had a right to arrest Gates. I don't think it was necessary, but Massachusetts law sides with the officer.
    MC

did yall see on his application to yale where he said "as always, whitey now sits in judgment of me, preparing to cast my fate."...blah blah blah..

and of course the application was accepted...

I'm sure he has no ax to grind with people of different skin color

rolling on the floor laughing my ass off...

Re: Barry Blew It On This One

Living in this area Graves mouths off all the time. Obama was wrong to get involved, but Graves is always in the papers about something.

Definately, both sides acted a bit irrationally as the story unfolds, I agree.

I still think that what ever the case would be, if one is a friend of the alleged "perp", most people would back the friend in a situation where someone was in their own home.

With police, and who have a really tough job in enforcement there's no doubt about that and they have my utmost respect overall... but also, they will 99% of the time back each other up regardless of what's fact or not.

There's the law and there's the unwritten brotherhood law in police enforcement, too.