Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Barry Blew It On This One

Post Re: Barry Blew It On This One

I totally agree, an apology is in order.
    I can't believe he used the word "stupidly".
    Has he no diplomacy?
    My kids knew better than to use the word "stupid" when they were five-years-old.
    "Mis-guided" has much less sting.

Considering what the man's dealing with... and the pace he's setting for himself... I'm surprised he hasn't had more gaffes.

BTW, did you hear about Biden (I know he's one of your favorites ) saying that the war in Afghanistan is "worth it"?
    Worth what? I'm still not seeing how sinking billions of dollars to "safeguard" Helmond Province is or should be a priority for our country.
    We know, after all, that Osama bin Laden isn't there!

Obama Calls White Policeman Who Arrested Scholar
    July 24, 2009 (5 mins ago)

WASHINGTON Trying to tamp down an uproar over race, President Barack Obama said Friday he used an unfortunate choice of words in commenting on the arrest of black scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr. and could have "calibrated those words differently."

The president said he had telephoned the white policeman who arrested Gates, and he said the conversation confirmed his belief that the officer was a good man and an outstanding officer.

The president caused a stir when he said at a prime-time news conference earlier this week that Cambridge, Mass., police had "acted stupidly" by arresting Gates, a Harvard scholar and friend of the president's, for disorderly conduct.

On Friday, Obama made an impromptu appearance at the daily White House briefing in an effort to contain the controversy. He said he continued to believe that both the officer, Sgt. James Crowley, and Gates had overreacted during the incident, but the president also faulted his own comments.

"This has been ratcheting up, and I obviously helped to contribute ratcheting it up," he said. "I want to make clear that in my choice of words, I think I unfortunately gave an impression that I was maligning the Cambridge police department and Sgt. Crowley specifically. And I could've calibrated those words differently."

The incident began when police went to Gates' home last week after a passer-by reported a potential break-in. It turned out that Gates had tried to jimmy open his own door, which was stuck, and there was no intruder. Gates protested the police actions and was arrested, although the charges have since been dropped.

Before Obama's appearance Friday, a multiracial group of police officers stood with Crowley in Massachusetts and asked Obama and the state's governor, Deval Patrick, to apologize for comments they called insulting. Patrick has said Gates' arrest was "every black man's nightmare."

Dennis O'Connor, president of the Cambridge Police Superior Officers Association, said Obama's remarks were "misdirected" and the Cambridge police "deeply resent the implication" that race was a factor in the arrest.

Sgt. Leon Lashley, a black officer who was at Gates' home with Crowley at the time of the arrest, said he supported his fellow officer's action "100 percent."

Gates has said he returned from an overseas trip, found the door jammed and he and his driver attempted to force it open. Gates went through the back door and was inside the house when police arrived. Police say he flew into a verbal rage when Crowley asked him to show identification to prove he should be in the home. Police say Gates accused Crowley of racial bias, refused to calm down and was arrested.

Gates, 58, maintains he turned over identification when asked to do so. He says Crowley arrested him after the professor followed him to the porch, repeatedly demanding the sergeant's name and badge number because he was unhappy over his treatment.

My opinion...Obama should have said no comment. However, reading through the last article that was posted, it seems there are differing stories from the cop and Gates. Sounds like the entire situation got out of control and both people overreacted.

I agree with Carrie and giving no comment would probably have been the wisest thing to do. Sometimes at a given moment we all would jump to the defense of someone we consider a friend...or at least in my book, that's what friends do.

Have to add that it's something I've not lived, but I do get it that people of a certain age and color have had a totally different perspective of what happens when the police are at their door, or pulled over in traffic stops.

And I can understand why this Harvard professor became testy when he was in his own home and had done no harm to anyone other than his own door he jimmeyed.

Just one more thing... I know lots of police officers over the years, many who were and are friends... and I also have known some cops who , what we used to call as..."badge heavy" and some of them can be pretty scarey people to have out there enforcing law. Not saying that Crowly is one of these and from all reports he's one of the good guys, but we ALL know in every professsion there are a certain amount of people who shouldn't be serving in a particular capacity.

I'll give Obama a lot of credit for inviting both me to The White House for a beer, to talk this whole situation over.
    Notice in the photo accompanying this article,
    there was a black police officer on site at the arrest.
    I'm really wondering why we haven't heard from him.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090726/...lar_disorderly

Re: Barry Blew It On This One

the white officer was assigned the anti racial profiling job by the ex black lieutentant... I think the black officer has already responded...supports his comrad...of course...

the only thing about the situation is that it appears the white officer prodded the guy out on the steps so he could arrest the guy while hoping his tirade continued... lets face it...the black professor acted like a clown and pissed the cop off... cop knowing he couldnt arrest the guy with the confines of his own home, prodded him to follow him outside where a crowd had gathered... stupid professor continues the tirade and the arrest is made...

most cops are on a power trip and if the professor had have acted like a grown up, this never would have happened... and if the cop would have just sucked it up and left, we dont have story either...

obama then stuck foot in mouth too... it was not a gaffe..its the way he feels about cops...

Quote Originally Posted by big easy View Post

obama then stuck foot in mouth too... it was not a gaffe..its the way he feels about cops...
    You got any evidence to back that up?
    ITA with you that the situation just got out of hand- by both parties. After all... is there any reason why this cop couldn't have just walked away when he realized that Gates was who he said he was... and did, indeed, live there? It's hard to believe that he genuinely thought Gates was a "threat" to anyone.
    I've got a lot of respect for cops... but we all know that a lot of them are always on power trips.