Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Barry Blew It On This One

Post Re: Barry Blew It On This One

I never said Obama was a racist.
    What I said was that he did some damage to his reputation for not playing the race card.
    I'm not black either, and I don't think the cops over-reacted to this.
    They got a call that there was an attempted break in.
    When they responded, the man in question did not peaceably prove he was the homeowner.
    He went into a mental tirade about racism.
    And just for the record, the officer in question is an expert at racial profiling.
    So I think way too much has been made about the actions of the police,
    and not enough about the insane ranting of the homeowner.

I don't think this was "playing the race card." That's what the GOP and anti-Obama folks are trying to portray it as. Wow- the GOP sure reacted with the speed of light to instantly e-mail the country how BAD this all was!
    Too bad they can't actually develope any national policy that actually helps people as fast!

I don't think this was a huge blunder by Obama- just a mistake. Everyone makes them- even someone as careful as he is.
    I'm not sure about all the details of what happened- but I thought he showed the cops proof of his residency there immediately? Of course he shouldn't have reacted the way he did. And he's paying the price! But I'm hesitant to judge a black man in this situation who's probably spent a lifetime being on the defensive with police... just because he's black. Now I'm not defending ranting at policemen- that's just stupid. And asking to be arrested! He was wrong to do so.
    But I can imagine his anger, first at being locked out, second at having his neighbors calling the police (didn't they recognize him?!?) and thirdly, for being assumed to be a criminal first.

You don't get it mtj- I'm AGREEING with you! Yes, Obama blew this one. He was wrong to comment the way he did. Obviously he should have declined to comment at all. I have no doubt that the police acted the way they are trained to- an "arrest" to calm down the situation, and then those charges are invariably dismissed when calm prevails again. I'm not criticizing the cops... althought there certainly have been lots of occasions when they did over-react! It sounds like this man was having a very bad day... which immediately got worse from his own actions.
    My only point is that to extrapolate from this that Obama is some secret radical black racist who has a secret plan to harm all us white people is really stretching! And you may not be doing this but the GOP, Fox News, and the rightwing network of AM radio certainly is!
    And another thing... remember what this reporter actually asked him- how she phrased it! She asked him specifically what that incident says about race relations in this country! If that isn't a loaded question, I'm not sure what is.
    Nevertheless... Obama should have been smart enough to avoid answering it. Aren't you relieved that he's only human?? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by reines View Post
    You don't get it mtj- I'm AGREEING with you! Yes, Obama blew this one. He was wrong to comment the way he did. Obviously he should have declined to comment at all. I have no doubt that the police acted the way they are trained to- an "arrest" to calm down the situation, and then those charges are invariably dismissed when calm prevails again. I'm not criticizing the cops... althought there certainly have been lots of occasions when they did over-react! It sounds like this man was having a very bad day... which immediately got worse from his own actions.
    My only point is that to extrapolate from this that Obama is some secret radical black racist who has a secret plan to harm all us white people is really stretching! And you may not be doing this but the GOP, Fox News, and the rightwing network of AM radio certainly is!
    And another thing... remember what this reporter actually asked him- how she phrased it! She asked him specifically what that incident says about race relations in this country! If that isn't a loaded question, I'm not sure what is.
    Nevertheless... Obama should have been smart enough to avoid answering it. Aren't you relieved that he's only human?? LOL
    Amen!!! Oh wait that only applies to Obama huh

Yep he pulled the race card face it. He had no idea about the situation yet decided to play race because his friend was african american. He should have just shut his mouth and talked about his fashion or his date for the evening.

Quote Originally Posted by dylanangel75 View Post
    He had no idea about the situation
    That's what bothers me the most about this.
    That Obama had no clear picture of what REALLY happened,
    but commented anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mtj View Post
    That's what bothers me the most about this.
    That Obama had no clear picture of what REALLY happened,
    but commented anyway.
    Well... you don't really know what Obama knew about the situation. To say that he had no clear picture seems wrong, IMO.
    Also, It seems there are different accounts of exactly what happened from Gates and the cop.
    Obama shouldn't have commented on it at all- that's pretty clear. But on the scale of presidential "mistakes... I think it's pretty low.
    I mean... it's not like he opened his mouth and lied to the country and blundered us into an illegal war... is it?

ITA with Taylor here... it's time for President Obama to "kill" this incident by publicly apologizing. I'm sure he's a big enough man to do it!

Time for Obama To ‘Take the Temperature Down’

24 July 2009 1:22 pm by Taylor Marsh
    “This is incendiary. Race in this country is, is powerfully incendiary. And I suppose I thought that both sides of this would take a step back. Not listen to the news cycle. Not base future comments on the last news cycle. And make a determination that race is such a powerful–let me finish the thought–is such a powerful factor in this country that it would be better take a step back and try to figure out a way to mend this, not deepen it. … Take down the temperature on this.” - Tony Harris, CNN

Here Ye! Here Ye!
    As the [COLOR=#000 88]Gates - Crowley story escalates[/COLOR]. Pick your side.
    Now’s your chance, people. Line ‘em up.
    Liberals have their police brutality rap down. Even though every single individual emphatically commenting on the Gates arrest is basing their opinion on assumptions from an event from the past. History is a powerful tool, but if we’re going to try to live up to a post-racial America, we’d better up our game a lot higher than what most liberals are doing right now.
    Conservatives are using Sgt. Crowley as a battering ram against Obama, hoping to rev up their base against the President, getting a twofer if it ricochets on [COLOR=#000 88]health care[/COLOR], which is now a secondary story. Trying to also tie it to the Ricci - Sotomayor back and forth to construct a larger narrative.
    Meanwhile, people like myself are just trying to get to the actual facts of this incident, which no one knows completely. While being lectured to by people who think they know all because of something they witnessed, know from the past, believe to be true about cops. Not helpful.
    One thing is for sure.
    You’d think the police gathered for the press conference to support Sgt. Crowley would get that having ALL WHITE OFFICERS stand up, without a single person of color to speak, would present, at the very least, an image issue. It didn’t even make a dent, [COLOR=#000 88]as I tweeted during the press conference[/COLOR].
    Watching it through triple screens in my office, the cable media coverage was interesting to view. Again, [COLOR=#000 88]via Twitter[/COLOR]: … Fox News has a camera trained on Crowley; + split screen Crowley-Gates. CNN & MSNBC did not. Obama slammed.
    Tony Harris of CNN was rendered speechless after the press conference. “… I don’t know why I was at the impression that by the end of this news conference we would be resolving this. I don’t know why I thought that… It looks like we may be more entrench with this… But I tell you what, it just feels like… that the divide got wider and wider and wider…”
    Don Lemon “knew there would be some fall out.” The police feel it’s been very “one-sided,” with the coverage all about Gates, with the police story not being told. It is now.
    I predicted this the moment Obama said “stupidly.” He started it. He’s the only person who can end it. Take the temperature down, as CNN’s Tony Harris said. The police have asked for an apology. It’s the big man move for Obama.