Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Barry Blew It On This One

Post Barry Blew It On This One

All you Barry lovers can flame me all you want.
    His comments on this situation were so completely out of line.
    Officers responded to a call of a break in.
    Apparently, the "scholar" got lippy with those officers.
    Barry should have kept his two cents out of this one.
    For a lot of very good reasons.

Post Re: Barry Blew It On This One

reines to the rescue... we're waiting... can't wait

I forgot to post the link...and yeah...I'm sure Reines will be here
    to defend what is really un-defend-able.
    This comment totally negates all comments that he ran as a "man" not a "black man", for President.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090724/...scholar_police

I agree he missed the mark on some of this...defending a friend does sometimes remove objectivity.

But saying that, there is no doubt that racial profiling is an everyday event and any one who doesn't believe it happens believes it because they are removed the community where it does happen.

This was a simple call from a neighbor reporting a possible break-in and was reasonable to report (weird that the neighbor didn't know who lived there tho and didn't recognise him... it was in daytime, I think).

When the police arrived and found that it was the person who lived there, who produced identification, then it's pretty much a moot issue and should have been dropped and walked away from unless there was a threat of harm to the officers or someone else. That does not seem to be the case.

When I was in college and police science was my minor...one of the things taught that was at the top of the scale was that in training of officers the idea was to try and diffuse threats or non-threat issues from the public which usually works.

Reading over this particular situation seems that an older man who uses a cane, who was locked out of his own home and trying to get entry. Upon identification that he was the home owner should have been enough for the officers to bid him farewell and just leave even IF the person was upset.

I know my neighbors by name...the white ones, the black ones and the Asians ones and would be out there helping them open a window if they were locked out.

That was a great explanation of what happened.
    You only missed one, very important part.
    That would be the part about how the man in question,
    went into a hot-headed tirade at the police officers about how he was being
    targeted because of his race.
    And that happened long before he finally produced proof of who he was.
    There was fault on both sides of this issue.
    My point is, that it had nothing to do with race.
    And until people quit screaming "racism", whether it's warranted or not,
    things like this will happen.
    I found it in very poor taste that Obama did not see this situation for what it was, and decline comment on it.

I agree with you, mtj- he shouldn't have commented the way he did on this. But it was a mistake- who ever said or thought that Obama was perfect?

Just a reminder- he was asked about this by a reporter- it's not something he brought up.

Now, can we get back to talking about what really matters- health care reform? The real shame of all this is not what Obama said... or that he said anything. It's that, predictably, the media rushes to only foucs on that- completely obliterating what the news conference was really about.

Quote Originally Posted by reines View Post
    Just a reminder- he was asked about this by a reporter- it's not something he brought up.
    Yes, and in my opinion, the tactful thing would have been to decline comment.
    All the work Obama has put into not playing the race card went straight out the window with those comments.

Yes, he should have responded with "no comment" on that. ITA. He blew it.
    But trying to use this to portray him as some radical racist is really going too far... isn't it? I'm just laughing at these people who think OBama is some radical black man. C-mon, mtj- he's about the farthest thing from it!
    The real shame is that these people (who probably don't even believe it themselves) are just using things like this to try to stoke racial fears and division.
    You know what? I'm not black... but my first reaction when I heard about this issue was that the cops over-reacted! It's not a leap to assume that they acted "stupidly"... is it?
    Of course, I'm just a nobody citizen. And Obama is the president. He sholuldn't have responded with his opinion- ICAM!