Thread: Drinking age limit bubbling up?

Post Drinking age limit bubbling up?

"Over the strong objection of federal safety officials, a quiet movement to lower the legal drinking age to 18 is taking root as advocates argue that teenagers who are allowed to vote and fight for their country should also be able to enjoy a beer or two.
    The proposal, which is the subject of a national petition drive by the National Youth Rights Association, has been studied in a handful of states in recent years, including Florida, Wisconsin, Vermont and Missouri, where supporters are pushing a ballot initiative."

I guess there is a point to be made about statute drinking ages and where 18 year olds who are in the military are sent to combat regions, but can't buy a beer back home....and how is that right to deny them legal drinking status.

IMHO, if it's sanctioned ok by the govt. to be an adult to pick up arms and fight, risking literally life and limb, then all adult status should be granted.

Times and issues change. When adult status, legal age, was an issue during my younger years it was about lowering the voting age. At that time draftee's could be sent to Vietnam, but they had no rights to vote in elections unless they were 21.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20249460/

Re: Drinking age limit bubbling up?

I agree if you are considered an adult at 18 to the effect you can vote about the direction of your country and join the military and bear arms defending that country, you should be afforded all rights within that country, including alcohol.

What has always facinated me is couples who marry young, under 21, and yet they can't have a drink in their own married home? I just don't get that logic. You can be married and have children at 18 (legally that is, younger in some states) but you can't have a drink? Responsible for raising a child, no glass of wine?

And yet, celebrities are drinking underage every single day and it seems to be okay?

when I went to Peru, there were no drinking age limits...my wife tells me these things... you don't see underage drinking problems there.... here in the U.S. we just have too much idle time on our hands so we become obsessed with certain things like sex and alchohol and the perspective on things gets blown out of proportion and the results are very obvious

we need to get a grip and just take life as it comes...we are so obsessed in creating laws that will "certainly" resolve every social ill that plagues us... we'll discuss it in schools... take tests on it.. have t.v. commercials on it... show all our kids how much we care...so much that we'll have their teachers give tests on it and show us the results.... after 12 years of daily bombardment, we wonder why our 17 year old daughter comes home drunk and pregnant..

God forbid we ever go back to butt whippins' and Bible verses

"God forbid we ever go back to butt whippins' and Bible verses"

Sure....let's stone folks to death who commit adultery or happen to be gay, also, right?
    Hey Bigeasy, I just finished Christopher Hitchen's book, "God is not Great". I recommend it- it's a most entertaining read.
    As far as the drinking age goes- it makes no sense to me that folks can do most everything adults can at 18 but can't drink. Too bad we have such a huge alcohol problem in this country though- along with a culture of irresponsibility. That's why even 18 and 19 year olds can do so much damage after drinking.
    Besides, is there anyone out there who actually thinks anyone under 21 can't acquire alcohol when they wish to? Our culture just couldn't function without all it's drugs! LOL