Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: It's August 1st - where is the summer going?

Post It's August 1st - where is the summer going?

I don't know about all of you but this summer is just speeding by at the speed of light. Marsh had his last baseball game last night and football practice starts on Monday. School starts the day after Labor Day and it's hard to believe the baby is going to be in high school. What's even harder to believe though it my little Rootski Tootski, dgd#1, is also going into high school. THAT makes me feel old.

All my flowers look like crap. It has been so hot and dry here and then to top it off the county came about two weeks ago, ground up the road in front of the house and has left it. Luckily we live about 400' back but I'm still getting constant dust and to make matters worse, they've been spreading liquid manure on all the farm fields around here so if you're downwind - beware.

love,
    eldri, holder her nose
    My little Marshall

Post Re: It's August 1st - where is the summer going?

It is not fair that summer flies by and winter takes FOREVER to end. We are dry as a bone here too, the grass is like straw.

I know exactly what you mean! I'm starting to get that vacation bug as I watch everyone else taking off for late-summer trips. A co-worker just clued me in on a Lufthansa sale Now the only real question is...London or Amsterdam?

I vote for London, have fun!!

Quote Originally Posted by EZLoving View Post
    I don't know about all of you but this summer is just speeding by at the speed of light. Marsh had his last baseball game last night and football practice starts on Monday. School starts the day after Labor Day and it's hard to believe the baby is going to be in high school. What's even harder to believe though it my little Rootski Tootski, dgd#1, is also going into high school. THAT makes me feel old.

All my flowers look like crap. It has been so hot and dry here and then to top it off the county came about two weeks ago, ground up the road in front of the house and has left it. Luckily we live about 400' back but I'm still getting constant dust and to make matters worse, they've been spreading liquid manure on all the farm fields around here so if you're downwind - beware.

love,
    eldri, holder her nose
    Oh, I know about the flowers, they look so dead. I did water for awhile but since I went back to work, don't really feel like coming home and doing more work. I just did a "rain dance" in the living room and hope it helps.
    My tomatoes look great though, we have one tommytoe plant and they are sooo good. I am getting about 15-20 every day. I am giving them away. The rest are starting to come in too.

We are having a tax-free weekend so I am going shopping this weekend. I plan to buy grandd some school supplies and some clothes. She will be in 3rd grade. School starts sometimes this month. Times are flying.

Have a great day!
    CJ

Re: It's August 1st - where is the summer going?

Soapy, what's a tax free weekend? I never heard of that. Marshall went last week and bought his school supplies. We have hired a college boy to be here during the day with him. He's 15 but we live in the middle of nowhere and I don't want to leave him here alone. I've had the boys water my pots and hanging baskets but we have our own well and I don't want to run it dry. Marsh starts football practice on Monday but it's not until 3:00 every afternoon. School starts the day after Labor Day. However, because of the committment for football we are only free on the weekends now.
    Take care,
    eldri
    My little Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by EZLoving View Post
    Soapy, what's a tax free weekend? I never heard of that. Marshall went last week and bought his school supplies. We have hired a college boy to be here during the day with him. He's 15 but we live in the middle of nowhere and I don't want to leave him here alone. I've had the boys water my pots and hanging baskets but we have our own well and I don't want to run it dry. Marsh starts football practice on Monday but it's not until 3:00 every afternoon. School starts the day after Labor Day. However, because of the committment for football we are only free on the weekends now.
    Take care,
    eldri
    Tax-free weekend is when you can buy things like school supplies, office supplies, computers, clothes and this year they have added bedding to the list. Stores don't charge any tax for these things. SC does this once a year just before school starts. I think Iowa also has this tax free weekend.
    We bought dh some shirts and pants today at Sears and tomorrow I shop for ME!!!!!

CJ
    Have a great day!
    CJ

Re: It's August 1st - where is the summer going?

That's a great idea although I can't see Wisconsin doing it. Taxes here are so high I don't think they could survive without their sales tax. I bet it's hard too for stores with computerized systems. Even my computerized billing system automatically collects the correct tax based on the code I enter for the service provided. Well, if SC can do it, we should be able to do it too!!!

It's just been so darn hot here and more of the same this week. The humidity is the killer. Last night it was so humid it was like walking through mist - everything got wet. We tried to sit outside and enjoy the evening but between the flies, the mosquitoes and the humidity we called it a night and came inside.

love,
    eldri, stewing in her own juice
    My little Marshall