Thread: How do I know if my child needs braces?

Hybrid View

Smile How do I know if my child needs braces?

Hi all! My name is Donna and I’m working with the American Association of Orthodontists (AAO). I tried contacting the admin about posting here, but didn’t get a response so hope this is okay! I’m here because I think parents in the community would be interested in some information about braces and orthodontists!

A lot of parents want to know if and when their child might need braces – here are some early signs that may indicate the need to see an orthodontist:

• Early or late loss of baby teeth
    • Difficulty in chewing or biting
    • Mouth breathing
    • Speech difficulties
    • Crowded, misplaced or blocked out teeth
    • Jaws that shift or make sounds
    • Biting the cheek or roof of the mouth
    • Grinding or clenching of the teeth
    • Jaws and teeth that are out of proportion to the rest of the face

The American Association of Orthodontists is a resource for parents to learn more about orthodontic treatments and provides general tips on how to achieve healthy, beautiful smiles, get braces-friendly recipes, and find an orthodontist near you by using the Find an Orthodontist Locator service.

Why should you choose an orthodontist? Orthodontists receive an additional two-to-three years of specialized education beyond dental school to learn the proper way to align and straighten teeth.
    If anyone or their children has had braces, please post a comment and share your experiences!

Thanks!
    Donna
    donna@americanpopinc.com

Talking Re: How do I know if my child needs braces?

Greetings! I just wanted to follow up with some more braces info, in response to questions that I’ve had Moms ask me, “When should my child seen an orthodontist?” The AAO recommends that children visit an orthodontist no later than age 7 to check on subtle problems with teeth and jaw growth.

I hope this is helpful! I’ve been getting a lot of feedback regarding when parents take their children to visit an orthodontist for the 1st time – at what age did you take your kids?
    Donna
    donna@americanpopinc.com

Ask me about braces!