Thread: Easter Bunny sends new member?

Post Easter Bunny sends new member?

Good morning. It's Easter Sunday and while normally we'd be at church ...things didn't work out that way this year. It's a long story ... only part of it is health related so I'll not bore you with the details.

My name is Peggikaye. I've been dealing with autoimmune soup since the day my son was born on October 14, 1989. Went into the hospital perfectly healthy, walked out with Myasthenia Gravis ... would later (MUCH later) learn I also walked out with Lupus ..but since lupus takes longer to do it's damage ...and some symptoms (fatigue etc) are similar ... it didn't show up for about 12 years. (although, I had MANY docs suspect it, test for it, when ANA was normal said "well, I'll be! Could have sworn it was lupus!" )

Very long story short. A medication was changed for the Myasthenia ... Imuran to Cellcept ..and evidently the Lupus was far more impressed with the Imuran than the Cellcept because when I went on the Cellcept the Lupus came flying out of the woodwork both in symptomology and in serology.

The Myasthenia SIGNIFICANTLY improved on the Cellcept, so it wasn't worth going back on the Imuran to control the lupus. The lupus doesn't effect my organs ... so it was a risk vs benifit.

Last fall ... medicare decided they weren 't going to cover my Cellcept anymore and back to Imuran...slight (but not near what I'd expected) improvement in lupus and MG is a nasty bear again. (although tolerable)

That's my complicated medical history as short as I could make it ..and only the autoimmune soup ..not the other gems that come along with being chronically ill.

I'm a 44 year old wife (married 21 years) and mother of 2 sons ... Samuel 19 Benjamin 17. Samuel and I both go to college together. Benjamin is a special education student ...sophomore in high school.

I'm getting my degree in psychology to work with families of children with special needs. I've got a very long way to go ..want to get my Ph.D ..and I've got all of 32 hours ...need 126 just for the BS. Then Masters ... THEN Ph.D.

So, that is me in a nutshell ..while my name is Peggikaye .. I go by Peggikaye ... Peggi or Pk ..never ever Peg ( a peg is a wooden stick you stick in a wall to hang a picture on, or an artificial leg ... I'm a person I think )

Pk

Re: Easter Bunny sends new member?

Hi Peggikaye! Welcome. I'm debating about moving your post to the lupus/autoimmune board, but for now will leave it here. I'm in a similar boat, with lupus, sjogrens and a whole soup, as you say. Been coping (better at some times than others) with the dx since '96. I hope you'll be able to stop by often, it's always good to meet someone who is dealing with the same sort of challenges.
    Only an expert can deal with the problem