Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pets-where did yours come from?

Re: Pets-where did yours come from?

I think if a rescue is what you have in mind...an auction is a great idea. There are many local livestock auctions across the nation that have horses in need of good homes. Some are in rough shape...others are not...but they all could use a good, safe, permanent home. The risks associated with auctions include purchasing an unhealthy animal (which could be costly or heartbreaking) or purchasing an animal unsuitable for your level of experience. If you spend a bit of time with the horse prior to purchase and watch it carefully for a suitable temperment for yourself and your needs, I think that the benefits would outweight the risks involved...especially since you are just looking for a buddy horse rather than a show/riding animal. If you were looking at an auction for a riding animal, I would take someone with you who was knowledgeable of horses temperments, the local sellers (if possible), and conformation to check for soundness issues. Sounds like you will give a horse a great second chance at a happy home.

Thumbs up Re: Pets-where did yours come from?

Guess what?
    A couple of my friends who have horses have agreed to go with me to an auction on Monday! One of them has a trailer, and both have horse experience. I am hoping to find the right one that needs a second chance. I am so excited! We are heading out to the local tack store to buy a halter, leadropes, etc...things that I need to start out today.
    I will keep you posted! Thanks for your help so far. I'm sure I will be asking for advice

I agree with what everyone is saying about adoption but I think a big message that needs to get out is about adopting retired thoroughbread horses. As far as I know, there is a bill before Congress that will make it illegal to slaughter retired race horses. If this bill passes, the thoroughbread rescue farms will be swamped with horses and people will not know what to do. It will become very expensive for these agnecies to operate without alot of donations and many otehr complications. So please, tell a friend about adopting a retired race horse

My kitten was rescued from a very kind woman. These poor little cuties were left in her yard in terrible condition. She took them in, took them to the vet and had them treated. She then found good homes for them all. I donated money to her for spending her money on these little babies when they weren't even her responsibility

I got my dog from a local pet shop ...originally was shipped from minnesotta to nys

My sylvester came from a pet shop I bought him as a kitten on my birthday.Noodles the female.my husband found at work and brought her home.Boo,my other male cat I got him as a kitten at a shelter.I luv my cats.

Talking Re: Pets-where did yours come from?

my pet came from breeders. i know that everyone is going to think that is wrong but i love my babies so much.

animal shelter and veternary school. we wont buy pets via a pet store unless it's from a shelter.