Thread: Frederick of Hollywood--an abortion lobbyist?

Post Frederick of Hollywood--an abortion lobbyist?

Say it isn't so!!

Thompson lobbied for abortion rights

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070706/...mpson_abortion

WASHINGTON - Fred Thompson, who is weighing a Republican presidential bid as a social conservative, "has no recollection" of performing lobbying work in 1991 for a family planning group that was seeking to relax an abortion counseling rule, a spokesman said Friday.

The Los Angeles Times reported on its Web site that Thompson was retained by National Family Planning and Reproductive Health Association to lobby the administration of President George H.W. Bush to ease a regulation that prevented clinics that received federal money from offering any abortion counseling.

At the time, Thompson, a lawyer, worked as a lobbyist at Arent Fox Kintner Plotkin & Kahn, a Washington firm.

--

ademption: If this story checks out, whatever will the religious right do? I think they were headed towards Thompson b/c McCain, Romney and Guialiani were unacceptable. Now with this latest news of Thompson taking MONEY to support the evil abortion lobby, I guess it's back to the drawing board for the religious right....
    "It's hard for your opponent to tell lies about you if your fist is in his mouth."

--Bill Clinton

Re: Frederick of Hollywood--an abortion lobbyist?

Good point Ademption... if true, Thompson takes it on the chin twice....one for doing it, two for lying about it...(screw that "I forget" crap)

something does sound weird here though... what is "abortion counseling"? advising of the mental trauma that is common among women after having one? or trying to talk a women into having one?

Post Re: Frederick of Hollywood--an abortion lobbyist?

Hey bigeasy, health care clinics like Planned Parenthood do NOT try to get women to have abortions. That's a particularly noxious myth always promoted by those who want to shut them down. Abortion is just one option discussed, as part of that "counseling."
    So..........who are you liking right now in the Republican camp, bigeasy? It must be hard- there aren't really many good options, eh?
    On the other hand, the Democratic field is as promising and interesting as I can ever recall. Maybe you should consider changing parties!

LOL at Thompson's "response" to this issue:

"Thompson gave an oblique response when asked about the matter, first reported by the Los Angeles Times. "I'd just say the flies get bigger in the summertime. I guess the flies are buzzing," said Thompson, who is considering running for president as a social conservative. He refused comment on whether he recalled doing the work."

Yep. That's true about the flies.......and they get particularly bigger and "buzzier" when the manure piles get as huge as they are right now, thanks to the Republicans. I wonder why he can't just give a direct and coherent answer to clear things up....about where, exactly he stands here?

I guess a person can change their mind and their position on some things. Right?

(Not that I'm a Thompson fan. Except as an actor. I admire his skills on TV and in movies. As a person; he seems pretty flawed. A couple times married with a trophy wife 24 years his junior. More like sexual predator than President of the U.S., but he sure can act. Like Isiah Washington; a bit of an ass but gosh can he act!)
    Last edited by Dr. Mike; 7.9.07 at 2:25 PM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Mike View Post
    I guess a person can change their mind and their position on some things. Right?

(Not that I'm a Thompson fan. Except as an actor. I admire his skills on TV and in movies. As a person; he seems pretty flawed. A couple times married with a trophy wife 24 years his junior. More like sexual predator than President of the U.S., but he sure can act. Like Isiah Washington; a bit of an ass but gosh can he act!)
    Oh, for sure! Especially Republican candidates now....who seem to be quite adept at changing their minds on issues. (Of course, when Democrats do this, it's called "flip-flopping".) LOL
    I must be the only person in the country who has never seen Thompson in anything- never have watched anything he's been in. I'll take your word for it that he's a good actor.
    Let's hope we use a higher standard than that for electing our next president, however. What concerns me about Thompson as a potential president is that he seems to be exceedingly lazy- and not all that committed to governing.

Guliani has also taken the heat regarding abortion reines so don't say we ignore flip floppin'... Fred's record in the senate does not appear like he was a hard worker either..I'll admit to that as well...

by the way... I used to be pro choice....

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Mike View Post
    Oh, I think he or any other politician can change their views--even on the GOP side. After all, Saint Ronald Reagan signed a law allowing abortions while Governor of California and then conveniently became pro-life when he ran for president in 1976. Same deal with George H.W. Bush in the 1980 race.

I admit that I wrote this post a bit facetiously. At the end of the day, the GOP will get behind their candidate. They may not be as enthusiastic as they were for George W. Bush, but they'll vote for the GOP nominee....
    "It's hard for your opponent to tell lies about you if your fist is in his mouth."

--Bill Clinton