Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "Barack the Magic Negro"

Post "Barack the Magic Negro"

Kinda old news and now new news again.

"The controversy surrounding a comedy CD distributed by Republican National Committee chairman candidate Chip Saltsman has not torpedoed his bid and might have inadvertently helped it.
    Four days after news broke that the former Tennessee GOP chairman had sent a CD including a song titled “Barack the Magic Negro” to the RNC members he is courting, some of those officials are rallying around the embattled Saltsman, with a few questioning whether the national media and his opponents are piling on.
    “When I heard about the story, I had to figure out what was going on for myself,” said Mark Ellis, the chairman of the Maine Republican Party. “When I found out what this was about I had to ask, ‘Boy, what’s the big deal here?’ because there wasn’t any.”
    Alabama Republican Committeeman Paul Reynolds said the fact the Saltsman sent him a CD with the song on it “didn’t bother me one bit.”

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/200...politico/16919

---

Odd that some don't understand that there's a difference between parody and something else. This is part of the problem that many of the Republican party do understand and see that this type of parody project by the national chairperson will hardly buy the party any good graces with ethnic voters or most any one else.

The Republican party, to remain viable, needs to look beyond simply the older, socially conservative, mostly white constituants and bring itself into mainstream America that has changed demographically over the last few years.

Post Re: "Barack the Magic Negro"

The dictionary defines "parody" as,
    any humorous, satirical, or burlesque imitation, as of a person, event, etc.
    Politicians are made fun of and joked about all the time. Ask George Bush.
    Are we to excuse Barry of this because he is an African American?

Re: "Barack the Magic Negro"

Many of the republicans I know don't resemble the party of old at all. They're young, all races, and many women.

mtj...there is nothing remotely humorous in using the word "Negro" in any context. From a historical context, it's one of those words that just shouldn't be used. I think it's fine to make fun of our elected officials...this was just in very poor taste and IMO extremely offensive.

Using the word "negro" was a part of the humor involved.
    It's a correct term, just not used anymore.
    Had it been the other "n-word", I would agree it was offensive.
    Ooo, don't say "negro" that isn't politically correct.
    Ooo, don't say "black" that isn't politically correct.
    I am beyond tired of any humor pointed towards Barry or Michelle being labeled "racist".

Quote Originally Posted by mtj View Post
    Using the word "negro" was a part of the humor involved.
    It's a correct term, just not used anymore.
    Had it been the other "n-word", I would agree it was offensive.
    Ooo, don't say "negro" that isn't politically correct.
    Ooo, don't say "black" that isn't politically correct.
    I am beyond tired of any humor pointed towards Barry or Michelle being labeled "racist".
    What is funny is how people have got sucked in to this reshaping of what is going on. The words "magic negro" weren't said by anyone in the republican party. It's like people have no intelligence anymore and just get sucked into the template of the elitist media. The words magic negro are poking fun at a LA times writer named David Ehrenstein. For one thing negro isn't like the other N word. MLK used the word negro in many speeches. Negro isn't a word meant to be derogatory like the other N word. Sharpton called Obama a Negro. Seriously, all of you crying like 6 year old kids about the use of the word negro grow up. It was all political satire that here we have Sharpton saying Obama isn't black enough, and Biden said Obama was the first clean, articulate black person running for president which was a slap in the face to Al Sharpton. I don't even know what to say to anyone going all nuts making a big deal over all of this. Like MeganC was saying there are alot of blacks, Asian, Hispanics who vote republicain. Many of them are young but one thing you can say is they are mature enough to know reality from political satire. It is a sad state of America when things like this get twisted and made into something they aren't. Especially when it just takes a little bit of research and a common sense perspective to see whats going on. I mean seriously this shouldn't be this big or a story and is like the type of immature drama that you would hear on an elementary school playground. It was a political parity. Geez, it's ridiculous this is even this big a story.

Quote Originally Posted by heartpulse View Post
    What is funny is how people have got sucked in to this reshaping of what is going on. The words "magic negro" weren't said by anyone in the republican party. It's like people have no intelligence anymore and just get sucked into the template of the elitist media. The words magic negro are poking fun at a LA times writer named David Ehrenstein. For one thing negro isn't like the other N word. MLK used the word negro in many speeches. Negro isn't a word meant to be derogatory like the other N word. Sharpton called Obama a Negro. Seriously, all of you crying like 6 year old kids about the use of the word negro grow up. It was all political satire that here we have Sharpton saying Obama isn't black enough, and Biden said Obama was the first clean, articulate black person running for president which was a slap in the face to Al Sharpton. I don't even know what to say to anyone going all nuts making a big deal over all of this. Like MeganC was saying there are alot of blacks, Asian, Hispanics who vote republicain. Many of them are young but one thing you can say is they are mature enough to know reality from political satire. It is a sad state of America when things like this get twisted and made into something they aren't. Especially when it just takes a little bit of research and a common sense perspective to see whats going on. I mean seriously this shouldn't be this big or a story and is like the type of immature drama that you would hear on an elementary school playground. It was a political parity. Geez, it's ridiculous this is even this big a story.
    LOL! Saltsman is the one who sent out these CDS to fellow Republican members and is it Saltsman who has been running for chairmanship of the Republican party.

What's immature is that Saltsman sent this CD out to his freinds to begin with. Doesn't matter if it was about Obama, Sharpton or anyone else of color given that it's only been a few decades that segregation was not the rule of the day.

I well remember those days of white's only water fountians and who could ride in the front or back of the bus, etc. and even though those days are for the most part behind us... racism continues to be an issue for many people.

Must say, too... when was the last time anyone, as to mention someone's color in passing... they were Negros? NO one says that anymore and hasn't since the 1970's with some exeptions and those references are made only by those of color and with those I don't like it either. It's a past tense color or other racial reference as is "whitey, crackers, gooks, wops" etc...no longer acceptable in polite society.

Quote Originally Posted by MeganG View Post
    Many of the republicans I know don't resemble the party of old at all. They're young, all races, and many women.
    Guess some of this depends regionally, too. Looking at those who were selected to attend the 2008 Republican convention it was overwhelmingly older, white males and females. Scattered in with youth and camera shots of a minority here and there.

IMHO, the Republican party's biggest asset is the moderate conservatives who can turn this party around. The days of the religious right control are over and who will endorse just any candidate just cause they are Republican. Case in point, McCain. He was not conservative enough for the base.

But, most of the problem has been for the last eight years the present administration who ...for six at least... spent money, waged elective war like there was no tomorrow and who overlooked the oncoming economic problems.

The party has a lot of fences to mend with members if they want to turn things around in 2010, 2012.