Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's see the Al Gore/ Global people refute these facts

Re: Let's see the Al Gore/ Global people refute these facts

Not addressing the issues? How so? Did you check out the two links I posted in response?
    It seems to me that the main issue you wish to promote is that global warming is all some myth, some "junk Science", some nefarious plot to make money. We can imagine why so many would wish to deny that global warming is real and is an issue we need to deal with- primarily the fossil fuel industry who shamelessly admitted that their whole agenda was to muddy the reality by financing the campaign to convince the public that the science isn't virtually ironclad, that the jury is IN, that every month scientists are documenting even more evidence. Why would these people insist on denying the obvious? Because they don't want CHANGE. They know that once the public is sufficiently informed and alarmed (as credible scientists are) that they wil demand changes in public policy.
    You have not addressed the issue I raised many times, bigeasy- the question of WHY the virtual majority of worldwide accredited scientists are increasingly speaking up and out on the probable catastrophic consequences we will have to face? Do you seriously think that they are all bought off in some plot to hoodwink the public? It makes no sense........and if you really think about it, I don't see how you can explain it.
    Other than the reality that they all know something that the lay person just doesn't.......and they feel an increasing moral and professional duty to do everything they possibly can to inform us.

B.E.

Here I go again I've watched Gore interviewed and he strikes me as a a talking head on the whole issue. He dodges serious questions on the science and keeps his answers at 30M feet.

BUT, what I do like is that he's getting people to listen and he's getting people to make small changes, like recycle and planting trees and such. So for that I'm glad he's there.

But I agree, he's not the brightest bulb on the tree regarding the science. At least not in the interviews I've seen.

Post Re: Let's see the Al Gore/ Global people refute these facts

Quote Originally Posted by reines View Post
    Not addressing the issues? How so? Did you check out the two links I posted in response?
    It seems to me that the main issue you wish to promote is that global warming is all some myth, some "junk Science", some nefarious plot to make money. We can imagine why so many would wish to deny that global warming is real and is an issue we need to deal with- primarily the fossil fuel industry who shamelessly admitted that their whole agenda was to muddy the reality by financing the campaign to convince the public that the science isn't virtually ironclad, that the jury is IN, that every month scientists are documenting even more evidence. Why would these people insist on denying the obvious? Because they don't want CHANGE. They know that once the public is sufficiently informed and alarmed (as credible scientists are) that they wil demand changes in public policy.
    You have not addressed the issue I raised many times, bigeasy- the question of WHY the virtual majority of worldwide accredited scientists are increasingly speaking up and out on the probable catastrophic consequences we will have to face? Do you seriously think that they are all bought off in some plot to hoodwink the public? It makes no sense........and if you really think about it, I don't see how you can explain it.
    Other than the reality that they all know something that the lay person just doesn't.......and they feel an increasing moral and professional duty to do everything they possibly can to inform us.
    I HAVE addressed it reines... it's all about global wealth re-distribution... political leaders from around the world paying OUR politicians...ALSO.. the engergy companies ENRON in particular look to cash in big time on the carbon ticket exchange bidness... another hot commodity will develop... more and more scientists are seeing things and "coming out" and showing where there is NO concrete proof that man is creating climate change... more and more and funding for alternative opinions on the causes of climate change have been ignored...those with alternative opinions are scolded....that is NOT science...that is a political AGENDA...

by the way...did you see the most recent discovery regarding Greenland yesterday?....hmmm?

No, you haven't addressed my point- unless you're seriously claiming that the vast majority of worldwide scientists are only interested in advancing some nefarious plot to re-distribute wealth! Forget the politicans- how do you explain the world's esteemed SCIENTISTS growing increasingly alarmed and concerned?
    And BTW, you never actually denied sandybel's charge that you were just a rightwing "plant". LOL- That concerns me. Could you please tell me whether you are...or not? Just wondering.................

I am Canadian, and seeing as how we are being forced by our previous government to adopt Kyoto I have been following it quite closely.I have heard a lot of much smarter people then I who are more and more switching sides. I dont know where Reines gets her "90% of accredited scientists" from, but I believe that is a bit of a stretch. I wish I could remember names of the scientists I listen to, but unfortunately I just listen to credentials and what they say. For instance, the ice is not getting thinner in the poles, its thickening, the pictures of glaciers falling off is hype, happens every year, just normal spring thaw. (but it sure looks dramatic in the movies). Also, Mars has warmed by approx. .05 degrees since the 70's (about how much the earth has warmed in the same time frame). While the earth is undergoing a warming trend it has gone through at least 6 ice ages in the last approx. 750,000 years and ice ages are seperated by warming periods. The Earth has been warming for 11,000 yrs. The CO2 levels track these climate changes. Through out time CO2 concentrations have been much greater then now. If you take the time to graph CO2 concentartions, Earth's average temperture its more likley a consequence of Earth's warming, not its cause.

As for Al Gore , to fly around Al Gore pays carbon credits to a company he owns thereby just giving himself back his own money (wonder if he also gets tax breaks for that money) his power bill in his home (according to a journalist who was on a radio talk show I listen too) is approx $1200 a month for his home (thank god hes the poster boy for conservation).
    I dont see how any of the global warming believers dont think that this global warming hype is any less big business/driven by money then the opposite side.

Im not bigeasy, but heres a question, how come hes a "rightwing plant" because of the politics he believes in but how come someone like Reines, who is as about as far left as anyone Ive ever seen (or read lol), isnt being accused of being a "leftwing plant". (BTW I used to post here a few years ago,but had not for so long that my old log in info had been deleted, I posted under JAZ, dont know if any of you remember me or not)

Post Re: Let's see the Al Gore/ Global people refute these facts

Hi JAZ - good to have you back.

I guess I'm the one who questioned BE's motivation. Her/His comments have been so far out in right-field, especially of late, that I became suspicious. The right-wing media machine is known to have sent out squads of bloggers (some even paid) for this very purpose. I know of no such similar organized effort in the progressive community - other than our encouraging progressives in general to speak their mind in forums.

BE's continued repeating the well-discredited sophisms like WMD's in Iraq, the connection between Al-Queda and Saddam Hussein, and that there was no underlying crime in the outing of Valerie Plame, etc. ad nauseum, that, in my view, he/she is either seriously misinformed or is purposely trying to mislead for political (or monetary?) reasons.

Thanks...good to be back....I think.... lol