Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Now what can I read?

Post Now what can I read?

I know this sounds silly but since I finished the "Twilight" saga nothing interests me. I've picked up two books this weekend and discarded them both after the first chapter. Any suggestions?
    Agent99

Re: Now what can I read?

Agent, are you looking for more vamps? I think I remember that you are watching True Blood, is that right? There's a whole series of books about those characters by Charlaine Harris.

Or are you looking for a total change? I hate that feeling of finishing a book/series that you love so much that all you really want is more about the same people.
    Only an expert can deal with the problem

Post Re: Now what can I read?

Did you ever read The Mayfair Witch series by Anne Rice? Those are pretty good.

I'm not really looking for more vampires because NO ONE could ever compare with Edward Cullen. I just want something that has interesting characters and if there is a little mystery involved - all the better. My friend who just completed the Twilight series said she is having the same trouble. We think maybe we need to just take a break and let those characters get out of our heads for a little while.
    Agent99

I finished the first two books and put the third and fourth on my Christmas list so I'm struggling as well. I just picked up Sue Grafton's T book and Patterson's 6th in the Lindsay Boxer series to completely get a change of pace. I'm reading Patterson right now.

Agent, I am looking forward to the Twilight series after Christmas.
    A couple of years ago I found myself completely blocked regarding pop fiction. Just could not stomach another predictable plot or suburban angst. So I turned to the old classics (you know, the stuff your high school English teacher made you read and you hated it?) and found that I truly enjoyed the craftmanship and the stories. So for a change of pace I recommend:

any of Pearl Buck's China tales
    Dickens (requires concentration but worth it)
    The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton. I am really looking forward to more of her.
    Jack London. Wonderful adventure and morality tales. Loved The Sea Wolf.
    Orwell, if you need to be thoughtfully scared to death.
    John Scalzi has written a delightful sci-fi series in the Heinlein tradition, beginning with The Old Man's War. You don't have to be a sci-fi fan to enjoy them.
    Homer Hickam. Loved his Coalwood memoirs, beginning with Rocket Boys (October Sky) He also has a WWII trilogy that I enjoyed, beginning with The Keeper's Son. Pure fun.

Thanks for the Twilight recommendation. I look forward to it.

I just read "The Good Earth" over the summer. I am staring at "Bleak House" right now on my bookshelf. I think a classic is exactly what I might need. Thanks for the slap in the face. LOL!
    Agent99

Post Re: Now what can I read?

Old classics...ah, I love them.
    "Catcher In The Rye", "To Kill A Mockingbird", "Jane Eyre".
    I go through spells where that is all I can read.
    I LOVED it when my kids were in High School English classes.