Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Anyone out there who wants to talk about BF?

Post Re: Anyone out there who wants to talk about BF?

I nursed my son till his second b-day and was forced to wean because I needed to go on meds.....turns out we could of continued. Dang doctors. ugh!

Im still nursing my daughter now who is 2.5 we are slowly self weaning now and my milk supply is really low.....I am sad as she is over it - she'd love to continue on I think but I dont feel as comfortable as I thought I would...... so Im not encouraging nursing....just nurse her when she wants it during the night.

Re: Anyone out there who wants to talk about BF?

My advise would be if you can get some support either in a lactation consultant or in a moms group that definitely helps. At the hospital where I delivered they have a Mommy and Me Breastfeeding group that meets twice a month. You could weigh your baby also they would measure in grams before and after the feeding so you could find out how much they are actually getting, which is cool. The lactation consultants would come around and answer questions for moms and check to make sure the baby is latching on correctly. It was a fun time to talk with other moms about struggles and helpful hints as well. I am mom to one boy who is 3 now and I am proud to say I am still bf, although I know I am one of the few, lol.

I know

My advise would be if you can get some support either in a lactation consultant or in a moms group that definitely helps. At the hospital where I delivered they have a Mommy and Me Breastfeeding group that meets twice a month. You could weigh your baby also they would measure in grams before and after the feeding so you could find out how many ounces they are actually getting, which is cool. The lactation consultants would come around and answer questions for moms and check to make sure the baby is latching on correctly. It was a fun time to talk with other moms about struggles and helpful hints as well. I am mom to one boy who is 3 now and I am proud to say I am still bf, although I know I am one of the few, lol.

I know if can be very challenging to continue on, when I went back to work after 3 months I was pumping constantly to keep up my milk supply b/c I didn't want to use formula. If you're really commited to it just get as much support as possible and try and remain as positive as possible. I have read lots of different books on the subject. My favorites are by William and Martha Sears, I believe it is called The Breastfeeding Book, and The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding by the La Leche League. I have never gone to LLL meeting, but have heard they can be great support if you don't have other moms to meet with and talk to. Good luck! I remember that it almost seemed magically at 8 weeks it stopped hurting! All the soreness seemed to go away, I remeber using different creams and such to try and ease the pain. I know now that he wasn't latched on big enough and was pulling which was causing pain and soreness. Sorry it seems I've written a book, lol, but just want you to know you have support here if you want it

don't feel bad, if you don't feel comfortable anymore odds are she can feel that and she won't be comfortable so it might be the best decision for you both. Now I could be wrong since I'm not a phychologist but I know kids even babies can feel tension.

Best of Luck

thanks for the info i'll give it a try this time. i want to bf bc i know it's better and obviously way cheaper than formula. this may snd kinda nasty but my nipples are getting bigger so this might help me be able to bf i guess we'll find out come feb.

I'm glad to give any advise that I have so that other mom's have the best experience they can. I just remember in the beginning the LC's always saying to be ready to feed on demand and pump as much as possible because that will really help build up your milk supply. They would tell me to pump for 10-15 minutes after nursing to really help bring my milk in. That worked until my doctor put me on the birth control that supposedly is ok for bf, but come to find out from the LC's it CAN lower your milk supply so I quit taking that ASAP, but I had been on it for over a month so I wasn't able to get back the same amount of milk I was producing. The LC's had me drink the Mothers Milk tea that contains different herbs including fennel and taking a Fennugreek pill to help build my supply back up. I'm not sure they helped that much, but it made me feel that I least I was doing something to help besides pumping like crazy!