Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: what do yall think about all the recent attacks on talk radio?

Re: what do yall think about all the recent attacks on talk radio?

If you can't see the intolerance, homophobia etc. of these right wing fascists, then no examples I can give you will convince you.

It is time for you to lift the scales from your own eyes. I cannot do this for you.

Post The libs are just angry becaise Air America couldn't make it

in the free market. So they need help from the federal government to make their voices heard.

Post Re: what do yall think about all the recent attacks on talk radio?

Quote Originally Posted by sandybel View Post
    Some time ago, I heard Neil Boortz admit a telling truth. He said that if anyone believes anything he says on the radio he would be crazy. So, in essence, it is all about entertaining the angry white man and making money for the station's corporate sponsors.

Hannity, Boortz, O'Reilly, Savage, et. al., are really not journalists, they are shills for the radical-right corporate fascists. They spew racist, homophobic, jingoistic, and xenophobic hate-speech designed to mollify the have-nots and hide the real agenda of the corporate- and Christo-fascists who have made frightening inroads on our liberties and freedoms.

I would never support silencing any talk-show host, no matter how egregious. I do believe in freedom of speech. However, since the demise of the FCC's equal-time regulations, we now have a situation where opposing views are no longer allowed on the air in the right-wing corporate-controlled media.

We must bring back equal-time provisions or we may end up at in the trash-heap of history along with Nazi Germany, Fascist Italy, and the Soviet Union.

We have made the mistake in this country of tolerating intolerance. A grave error that can only serve to destroy tolerance and, with it, the very foundations of our democracy.
    Well said, sandybel.........I couldn't agree more. It's unfortunate today that so many only want to be entertained...instead of informed. And the corporate media is partly responsible for this- substituting emotional "grabbers" and fear inducing crap for actual information that we need to know.
    The FCC has been weakened almost into oblivion under two decades of rightwing assault.....and the sad thing is, so many citizens don't even realize what's been lost.

you can't give any examples reines nor can sandybel.... all you have is your catch words that feel empowering to you but you site no examples which leaves your accusations pointless.... symoblism over substance as Rush would say

9 out of every 10 journalists donate money to dems and not repubs..their op eds are tilted to the left therefore the door was opened for talk radio ....as Rush says he's nothing more than "equal time"... a balance or outlet due to the left winged dominated press...there is no assault...it's called the free market..something air america can't succeed in..

so...why is rush and boortz racist and homophobic? boortz supports gay marriage by the way...(thought I throw that in before you slip up)

"why do you call these people homophobic? what is racist about any of them?..."
    Bigeasy, are you serious?!? Have you ever listened to oh, I dunno, Michael Savage? I don't know how you can honestly claim that they aren't homophobic and racist.
    Unless you're thinking that they aren't REALLY.......but just play one on the air as a gimmick to fire up the audience?

Post Re: The libs are just angry becaise Air America couldn't make it

Quote Originally Posted by justkathy View Post
    in the free market. So they need help from the federal government to make their voices heard.
    Ed Schultz: ‘How Many Markets Do I Have To Beat Hannity In Before I Get 200 Or 300 Stations?’

Progressive radio host Ed Schultz appeared on MSNBC last night to discuss the new report by the Center for American Progress and Free Press, which revealed the conservative monopoly that currently exists over talk radio.
    Schultz — the host of the most popular progressive radio show in the country — debunked the right-wing myth that conservatives dominate simply because they are winning in a “free market.” Schultz explained that the market is being controlled by a few ownership groups that are forcing conservative talk shows into local markets:
    I beat Sean Hannity in Denver. I beat him in Seattle. I beat him in Portland. I beat in San Diego. How many markets do I have to beat Hannity in before I get 200 or 300 stations? It’s an ownership issue. … The fact is, it’s market opportunities and liberal talkers, progressive talkers are being held to a totally different standard than conservatives.
    var flvedschultz32024014181 = new SWFObject('/wp-content/plugins/flvplayer.swf?file=http://images2.americanprogressaction.org/ThinkProgress/flv/2007/06/edschultz.320.240.flv&autoStart=false', 'em-flvedschultz32024014181', '320', '260', '6', '#ffffff'); flvedschultz32024014181.addParam('quality', 'high'); flvedschultz32024014181.addParam('wmode', 'transparent'); flvedschultz32024014181.write('flvedschultz3202401 4181'); John Halpin — one of the principal authors of the radio report — noted that there is no “free market” under the current system. “There is little free speech or free choice in a market system that pushes out one-sided information 90 percent of the time on the radio,” he said. “Radio stations are licensed to operate in the public interest. Promoting one point of view over all others does not meet any reasonable public-interest standard.”
    Transcript:
    SCHULTZ: When you are talking about the spoken word, it influences a lot of people and it influences election in this country. There is no question. We are talking about market opportunities. Right now the liberal progressive format in this country — we are all fighting over the same 100 stations. Michael, I offer to you that ownership is an issue.
    There are conservative broadcast companies in this country that do not broadcast one single second of liberal talk radio.
    SMERCONISH: But Ed, I have to tell you something –
    (CROSS TALK)
    SMERCONISH: CBS would fire me in the morning and replace me with a communist if that communist would get them more revenue. It’s all about the scratch.
    SCHULTZ: That’s not true. Michael, that is not true. I have got one of the top talk shows in Seattle, and I am only on one station in the country with Infinity. That’s not true. We are not being given the fair market opportunity.
    SMERCONISH: I just don’t see it that way. I think it’s totally demand driven. And if were there a demand for whatever the program happened to be, believe me, they would put it on the air, because all they want to do is sell advertising and there is nothing wrong with that.
    SCHULTZ: You know, Michael that’s almost insulting me. I beat Sean Hannity in Denver. I beat him in Seattle. I beat him in Portland. I beat in San Diego. How many markets do I have to beat Hannity in before I get 200 or 300 stations? It’s an ownership issue. Salem Radio, Infinity does one, ABC owns Hannity. It comes down to ownership. Actually, Clear Channel has been better than any of them.
    The fact is, it’s market opportunities and liberal talkers, progressive talkers are being held to a totally different standard than conservatives.

I'm dead serious.... are you calling them racists because they want the borders controlled? I don't get it... which one do you think is homophobic?..which one racist? do you listen to them? I have listened to all of them... I do not agree with everything they say by the way... they bring current events to the table and discuss them and they all invite callers to agree or disagree.... Rush always sets aside several hours a week for callers that only disagree with them... let's see that air america freak with the thick glasses and senatorial ambitions pull that off...oh never mind...only 20 or 30 people listen at a time anyway..

I don't believe shultz...yet... I'll have to see concrete numbers from someone other than him who has an AX to grind...

I refuse to believe that any radio station would throw away money just because they didn't like the personality or agenda of the host...

I'm perfectly content with letting the market drive things... and the left winged radio people just are not entertaining or very smart for that matter... they are boring and just are not good at what they attempt to do