Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: What top scientists think (and shouldn't we listen?)

Re: What top scientists think (and shouldn't we listen?)

warmer waters may cause more severe weather, but is warmer waters caused by what humans do? Thats what is being argued.

Um, yes, I think it's generally believed and accepted by most credible scientists and experts that yes, man's activities are greatly accelerating the rise in temperatures. Carbon dioxide levels are at their highest in 420,000 years! Overpopulation is no doubt a major factor in this.
    The Union of Concerned Scientists state unequivocally that they can identify the “Human Fingerprint” on global warming. Even the EPA blames global warming on human activity in their web site where the opening paragraph states: According to the National Academy of Sciences, the Earth’s surface temperature has risen by about 1 degree Fahrenheit in the past century, with accelerated warming during the past two decades. There is new and stronger evidence that most of the warming over the last 50 years is attributable to human activities.
    It's not a big mystery- we know what causes carbon dioxide and what causes it to increase- the exact same things an overpopulated, industrialized earth is doing. Nobody can deny the sharp spike in warm temperatures coinciding with 20th century industrialization.
    And I think the "debate" is not even whether or not man's activities are causing this- it's WHAT are we going to do about it? The bury-your-head-in-the-sand folks first tried to deny the earth was getting warmer...then, when that was clearly shown to be undeniable, they insisted that man's activities aren't the cause. When the scientific community thinks otherwise. But, like dinosaurs, they cling to denying reality.....while the world becomes more and more unstable.
    The "debate" is over. Global warming is real, it's here, and what we do is directly accelerating it.
    The only real debate now is- what are we going to do about it?

what are credible scientists? ones you agree with? Actually more and more of scientists (ones who used to be on the global warming cause by man bandwagon) are saying... oops, wait a minute, we were hasty and I dont really agree with that anymore. I think its cyclical changes in the planet and not man made at all. (thats scientists I have actually heard with my own ears saying I goofed)
    And, just so we are clear, greenhouse gasses are not polution. Im not against trying to clean up polution but Im also not for crippling the economies of North America over this hooey.

Post not all scientists agree about the causes of global warming

The dissenters just aren't heard as much.

http://mysite.verizon.net/mhieb/WVFossils/ice_ages.html

Post Re: What top scientists think (and shouldn't we listen?)

No they aren't.....just as we don't pay much attention to those who still think the world is flat.
    I'm hard pressed to think up a reason why all the world's scientists and experts would be in on this so-called "hoax" of global warming. I can't imagine what possible motivation there would be for all of them to lie, mislead and deny, can you? Tell me please, what on earth you think everyone has to gain by lying about global warming....and the threat to us?
    On the other hand, it's not too hard to figure out what motivates those busy trying to stall any action or progress- money, profit and greed always seem to trump doing the right thing in our country these days.
    So you don't believe the scientists who are increasingly alarmed and concerned.......do you believe our own Pentagon? Because they issued a report in 2004 warning that major European cities will be sunk beneath rising seas as Britain is plunged into a "Siberian" climate by 2020. "Nuclear conflict, mega-droughts, famine and widespread rioting will erupt across the world." The document predicts that abrupt climate change could bring the planet to the edge of anarchy as countries develop a nuclear threat to defend and secure dwindling food, water and energy supplies. The threat to global stability "vastly eclipses" that of terrorism.
    Climate change "should be elevated beyond a scientific debate to a US national security concern", say the authors, Peter Schwartz, CIA consultant and former head of planning at Royal Dutch/Shell Group, and Doug Randall of the California-based Global Business Network.
    Shouldn't we be trying to do something? Shouldn't we be preparing as best we can for a worst-case scenerio? How can anyone justify doing nothing?
    Even if you truly believe that all the scientists and all the experts and all the Pentagon people who are growing increasingly concerned about this are just one "side" of an issue- shouldn't we still be trying to address the issue- just in case they are RIGHT?

Post Re: What top scientists think (and shouldn't we listen?)

Some of the methods scientists use to make their forcasts about global warming are not necessarily sound. One researcher has even made a bet with Al Gore.

http://www.spiked-online.com/index.p.../article/3533/

Apparently Mr. Gore has not responded.

but man made warmer oceans is not therefore you are wrong

Time will tell about whether global warming or climate change and whether mankind has contributed to any of this.

BUT, how hard is it to be more eco-friendly? Are we all so lazy to not be reponsible citizens of this planet that it doen't matter? Finger pointing at other countries...fine and they deserve it for the most part, but it does not mean we can't as individuals decide to do what we can.