Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

Thread: What top scientists think (and shouldn't we listen?)

Re: What top scientists think (and shouldn't we listen?)

Reines, not denying something is making the earth warmer. But I have to laugh (not at you per se) at the comment that we're at the highest co2 levels in 420,000 years.

Who was recording co2 levels back then and what did they use?

Post Re: What top scientists think (and shouldn't we listen?)

Quote Originally Posted by MeganG View Post
    I was in Hong Kong the end of April and up on Shen Zen province that same trip. The smog and pollution over HK is atrocious. Beats LA ANY day of the week, times 2. Its horrific to think about what China is outputting and how fast they're growing.
    All the more reason why we need to take a leadership role. Does anyone seriously think we will be able to encourage these countries to do the right thing by sitting back and stubbornly refusing to act?
    It seems to me that we would have a much better chance at bringing them all around to environmental responsibility by paving the way.....and showing that the country that uses (and produces) far more than it's fair share of pollutants and waste is serious about addressing the issue.
    We need to LEAD- you know, the way we used to do?

Reines, not denying something is making the earth warmer. But I have to laugh (not at you per se) at the comment that we're at the highest co2 levels in 420,000 years.

Well that statement doesn't come from me....it's coming from scientists. Who, I presume, have techniques and precesses to determine co2 levels. I don't know how they do it- but I would imagine if they make a statement like that they have research to back it up. I know they routinely study ice cores from way, way, way down- they get a lot of information there.

For a great discussion on how these calculations are made, read (or see the movie) "An Inconvenient Truth." There have been numerous shows on the Discovery Channel and in National Geographic discussing the same methodologies.

Re: What top scientists think (and shouldn't we listen?)

and the trees that used to exist under present day glaciers?