Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Thread: Cigarette company openly soliciting political action.

Re: Cigarette company openly soliciting political action.

Why do you "doubt" Bush delayed anything? Carmona testified that he did! You really have a hard time imagining the Bush administration suppressing scientific evidence when it doesn't line up with their business interests (lobbyists) after the past six years?!?
    But again, it's got to be ALL about money in your world, right? There just can't be actual scientific evidence (in study after study) that second-hand smoke is dangerous- it's just got to be somebody wanting to get rich.
    Why is it that the party of big business interests always assumes everything else is always about somebody profitting? I guess when it's ALL about money, all the time, it must be hard to imagine that most people are not motivated by personal profit.

with all the money being made from lawsuits, I find it hard to ignore the money trail.. venturing off of it usually steers one away from what's actually happening... the studies done here were outcome driven and based on flawed science...euro studies with no financial stakes involved, came to different conclusions...not saying that 2nd hand smoke is healthy, but the hysteria that exists today is overblown and the lawsuits are not justified

Post Re: Cigarette company openly soliciting political action.

Quote Originally Posted by big easy View Post
    with all the money being made from lawsuits, I find it hard to ignore the money trail.. venturing off of it usually steers one away from what's actually happening...
    If you mean that suggesting that the lawsuits are off the money trail, I'm totally with you. It sounds like you're saying that the lawsuits are a money trail of some kind -- like the different lawsuits are going to lead back to a single rights-stealing entity -- but of course that's obviously not the case.

...euro studies with no financial stakes involved, came to different conclusions...not saying that 2nd hand smoke is healthy, but the hysteria that exists today is overblown ...
    Actually no; that's not correct. The studies in Europe have come to all of the same conclusions: that 2nd hand smoke makes non-smokers expensively sick, that smoke damages the infrastructure and art of all Europe, and that 2nd hand smoke is expensive to all taxpayers but of benefit to none but the tobacco sellers.

FYI: Ireland was the first country in the world to outright ban smoking in all workplaces, without exception. This, on purpose, includes restaurants, hotels and bars. (Ireland is in Europe and an original member of the E.U.) Here's a list of each of the countries of Europe and the anti-smoking laws that they have in place (European Health Alliance).

Almost every country in Europe has followed with bans or separate space restrictions. Most use taxes explicitly for the purpose of discouraging smoking and reducing the number smokers. Click here for an article on how a price (or tax) increase works to reduce smoking, smoking-caused deaths and smoking related expense. (WHO report on pricing.)

The European Union itself has laws governing movement and advertising of tobacco products.

You're welcome!

thank you Dr Mike... I too have seen the actions taken on by Ireland... but I've also read and heard about the studies of 2nd hand smoke and I still am convinced the studies were outcome driven...and I've read about another euro report that totally refuted the American "studies"... the jackpot justice system of tobacco litigation is the driving force behind the flawed conclusion of 2nd hand smoke... I'm not buying it..not when I've seen 95 year old smokers without lung cancer and a 30 yr old whose never smoked dying of emphysema...

again...smoking is bad...and especially to non smokers, they stink.... tobacco has lots of money so the timing was perfect... I'm sure you are happy about all the outcomes, taxes, and demands placed on private owners of bars and restaurants...so congrats..your side one..

by the way...I have not had a smoke since Sat afternoon...I still prefer to sit in the smoking section of bars and restaurants though...the people are generally nicer and more fun to be around...

Post Fantastic! Congratulations B.E.!

by the way...I have not had a smoke since Sat afternoon...I still prefer to sit in the smoking section of bars and restaurants though...the people are generally nicer and more fun to be around...
    That's fantastic B.E.! Congratulations. I wish you all the luck and strength you need to keep it going.

PRESHATE it Dr. Mike.. Tue evening and still no cig since 12:50 PM Sat afternoon... next step now is to start some daily exercise to get the cholesteral down...I've already cut out about 80% of my butter consumption as well...cholesteral was at 230... at age 44, time to start making some changes..like to see my 3 year old get married one day..

God Bless...

Post Re: Cigarette company openly soliciting political action.

Congratulations bigeasy on quitting! I think your idea about exercise is a good one- more exercise can only help you get over that addiction. I'm sending you lots of good thoughts and prayers to help you quit for good! Can you feel them? LOL
    Seriously, you CAN do it. My father was a chain smoker fromm the time he was 13! And he quit. If he could- anyone can. And just think of how much better you will smell! Your wife and son and future children deserve to have you around- don't let the tobacco industry make you sacrifice your life for corporate profits!
    And BTW, regarding those second-hand smoke studies- The US Surgeon General reported last year that nonsmokers exposed to seconhand smoke increase their risk of developing heart disease and lung cancer by up to 30 percent. Do you seriously think this administration's Surgeon General would be in it for the lawsuit money?!?
    Anyways, hang in there, bigeasy- you CAN quit!