Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Cigarette company openly soliciting political action.

Re: Cigarette company openly soliciting political action.

You seriously think the kids that the Joe Camel campaign were aimed at understood that they were being targeted, manipulated and cajoled into taking up a highly addictive habit that many people find impossible to quit?
    And don't even try to tell me that the cigarette industry hasn't repeatedly and shamefully and willingly marketed their product to younger and younger "victims"! And now they are targeting billions of people overseas in third world countries who probably are unfamilar with both their marketing strategies and the latest scientific information on how deadly smoking really is.
    Of course the real decision to smoke is made by the individual...but you simply can't ignore the reality that smoking is highly addictive.......and that the industry does everything possible to "hook" younger and younger people into getting addicted.
    And yes, I do blame these blood-sucking, greedy immoral bastards- I will NEVER forget the sight of all those tobacco industry executives sitting there, oh, so solemnly before Congress and LYING over and over about knowing how addictive nicotine was.

"of course the real decision to smoke is made by the indivudual"...

WOW...progress

Post Re: Cigarette company openly soliciting political action.

Quote Originally Posted by big easy View Post
    "of course the real decision to smoke is made by the indivudual"...

WOW...progress
    But that's not really the point, is it? You could use that individual choice statement to support virtually anything.
    It's your choice to drive a car- right? But don't you want the very latest safety equipment on it? It's your choice to use herbicides, pesticides or other various poisons in your home and yard, right? But don't you want safety information and guidelines on useage? It's your choice to drink alcohol, right? But don't you want DWI laws?
    And, on a very broad overall level- don't you, as a consumer want to know that there are basic health and safety regulations and guidelines that manufacturers and producers have to abide by- even though it's our CHOICE to consume?
    Considering the billions and billions of dollars that industries like the tobacco industry use to try to get younger and younger people to get hooked- the individual just can't have a fair fight these days.

safety equip on cars? whose saying cigs are safe?
    the package says "causes cancer"...what dumbass (like me) is going to light up?...are you kiddin'?
    DWI'S and smoking?...PLEASE...

don't have a fair fight?...it's called NOT DOING IT....PRO CHOICE..maybe that word resignates...

Children don't have the ability or the cynicism to understand how they are being manipulated and cajoled into taking up smoking- and to pretend they can make anything like a "fair" choice is just ridiculous.
    Why do you think the tobacco industry has been so adament about marketing to kids?
    You want to put your three year old up against the billions of dollars that they have for psychological manipulation and brainwashing? You seriously think he's going to be able to resist the advertising? Most three year olds know more about corporate symbols than they do the trees growing in their own yards.

no it's not ridiculous.. it's called good parenting... maybe do away with all cig advertising... in the end, it's personal choice and the info out on smoking far outweighs any joe camel billboard... psychological manip and brainwashing?..c'mon..

many already do resist advertising...sure he can... obesity is just as bad a health concern as smoking...would you go for additional taxes on fast food and ice cream? I just don't believe it's the gov's job to tax in order to curtail behaviour of a legal product... I think it fails constitutional muster

Post Re: Cigarette company openly soliciting political action.

Quote Originally Posted by big easy View Post
    no it's not ridiculous.. it's called good parenting... maybe do away with all cig advertising... in the end, it's personal choice and the info out on smoking far outweighs any joe camel billboard... psychological manip and brainwashing?..c'mon..

many already do resist advertising...sure he can... obesity is just as bad a health concern as smoking...would you go for additional taxes on fast food and ice cream? I just don't believe it's the gov's job to tax in order to curtail behaviour of a legal product... I think it fails constitutional muster
    You really need to do more research into the advertising industry- yes, they certainly do manipulate and brainwash people.....and they are increasingly going after younger and younger kids.
    There's a huge difference between fatty food and cigarette smoke, bigeasy- mainly, one has over 400 noxious poisons in it...and the other doesn't. It's not so much about protecting you from yourself as it is protecting the rest of society. Why should the rest of us have to suffer the negative effects of all those toxins and chemicals? A major study on second-hand smoke concluded that even brief exposures can cause immediate harm. (Of course, that study was delayed and suppressed for years under this administration.)

there have been other "major" studies refuting 2nd hand smoke dangers... the ones that the "consensus" were designed for more litigation.... the research was outcome driven as opposed to facts.... and I doubt Bush delayed anything..more moveon lies prolly... if he did, he was justified in doing so... the 2nd hand smoke research was flawed.. many more have shown it was way overblown designed for more jack pot justice