Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Cigarette company openly soliciting political action.

Hybrid View

Post Cigarette company openly soliciting political action.

Is this "grass roots"? RJR sent out this email (below) acting like a political action group soliciting citizen-smokers to push for lower cigarette taxes. This is some amazing nerve on the part of Joe Camel. I'll post it here in it's entirety.

I know that corporations do this sort of thing -- don't like it, but know that they do it. But in this case; I think that a tobacco company going too far. Your thoughts?
    From: Camel Confidential [mailto:camelcigarettes@email.camelsmokes.com]
    Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2007 08:30
    To: XXXXX@YYYY.com
    Subject: Politicians in Washington, D.C. are Targeting YOU to Pay Even More

The only way to ensure you will receive all of your important account information and special offers from Camel is to ADD US TO YOUR ADDRESS BOOK

SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Cigarette
    Smoke Contains Carbon Monoxide.

Website and offer restricted to legal age tobacco consumers.

Do not respond by clicking Reply. Your e-mail will not be delivered.
    Please see below for ways to contact us.

Dear Michael:

Right now, there is an effort underway by some politicians in Washington, D.C., to increase the federal excise tax on cigarettes by up to 61 cents per pack.
    That would be a 156% tax increase! Added to the current excise tax rate of 39 cents per pack, the federal excise tax on cigarettes could soar to $1.00 per pack, or $10.00 per carton! It’s time to take action and tell U.S. Senators and Representatives that enough is enough!
    Click here to contact your U.S. Senator and Representative and tell them you are against any attempt to increase the federal excise tax on tobacco products.
    Urge them to vote against any tax increase.
    Call toll-free 1-877-857-8074 to be connected to your elected official. This is a free call.
    For more information on this important issue, please visit www.nocigtax.com.
    Between the federal tax, state and local taxes, and settlement payments, the government raked in almost $33 BILLION in 2006 – just from smokers. More than $7 billion of that went to the federal government alone.
    But is that enough for them? No! Some politicians in Washington want to raise the tax significantly higher, placing an even greater economic burden on already over-taxed adult smokers.
    Cigarette excise taxes are regressive, unfairly singling out lower-income adult smokers to pay even more. This is an unfair form of “tax profiling.”
    Take action today and keep the politicians in Washington out of your wallet!</SPAN>

This e-mail is being sent to you since you indicated that you are a legal age tobacco consumer and that you wanted to receive e-mails announcing special offers and news from R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company's tobacco brands. It is intended for the addressee only and should not be forwarded.

P. S. We hope you enjoyed receiving this message. Click here if you do not want to receive future e-mails from R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company (this will not affect offers sent to you from R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company through regular U.S. mail.)

To change your e-mail address, please visit email.rjrt.com.

If you want to contact us, please go to the brand website and send an e-mail or call 1-877-265-1913. You can write us at: Camel Consumer Relations, P.O. Box 2959, Winston-Salem, NC 27102-2959.

FILTERS HARD PACK

16 mg. "tar", 1.3 mg. nicotine av. per cigarette by FTC method. Actual amount may vary depending on how you smoke. For T&N info, visit www.rjrttarnic.com.
    ps: yes; I used to be a smoker.

Re: Cigarette company openly soliciting political action.

good debate Dr. Mike...I unfortanutely still have my cig habit that needs to stop..I know they are bad and I know they stink to non smokers...but...

it is STILL a legal product that IS being excessively taxed.... question..why not go ahead and raise taxes on them to where they are $50 per pack? many smokers are lower middle class and it is an excessive burden...all in all it just takes more money from the private sector and put into gov't who is just going to piss it away like they always do...

Arlington Texas issues tickets to those caught smoking in their own back yards... people are pulled over caught smoking with their windows down...when is it going to end?...

I know I'm getting off the subject but I've read credible articles showing how the second hand smoke conclusions were based on junk science and I believe it.. personally I believe the fella that let one rip in the elevator today did more damage to my health than the pack of smokes I inhaled today... it's all about more lawsuits and whip the populace into a frenzy to make the jackpot justice system more successful...

again..why not $50 per pack? as long as the product is legal, gov't has no business taxing people in order to control their behaviour... if it kills as fast as the experts claim they do, then the healt costs associated with smoking will be offset by people dying sooner which reduces the expense of caring for the elderly...

either have the hair on your backside to make them illegal, (which they won't because they like the money) or let freedom rein like it's supposed to in the U.S.

Post Re: Cigarette company openly soliciting political action.

As a smoker myself...kind of a weird part time one, who does not smoke on a regular basis...AND one who fortunately can go for days or weeks without a cigarette. Still, it's something that I will admit to.

BUT, I do think that most people do understand that RJR and the other tobacco companies would have, nor should they have if unwarrented, post warning labels on cigarette packs if there was not some scientific basis (not just the govt. cowtowing to non-smokers who don't like the stink) that there is factual evidence that smoking not only causes harm to some, smokers and non-smokers who enhale second hand.....but, also as far as medical costs for those who must seek treatment, especially those who are uninsured that the tax payers pick up in either paying for govt. sponsored health care programs or higher premiums by private insurance that passes along the costs of treating smoking related illnesses.

Therefore, I agree with your statement that cigarettes should either be legal or not, as far as being sold as a legal product. Lung cancer is a horrible disease to witness and watch someone deal with. Symptoms usually only appear at a late point. $50 a pack would certainly discourage purchase.

Anyone who smokes, should have a Petscan to hopefully catch lung cancer in the early stage, just like tests of mammograms and other cancer screenings.

I'm LOL at the notion that the cigarrette companies are actually worried about the burden on the "poorer" smoker! Right. Yep, they're just lookin out for ya, buddy. Notice how cleverly they've manipulated the wording in this e-mail to attempt to hide their real and only concern- lack of profits if more people finally QUIT!
    I say raise the taxes sky-high. Raise them on gasoline also. Let's start actively paying the true cost of these addictions.

Scans are a great idea, and I agree that every smoker should get them, but scans but they're way too expensive to get without a referral. Probably impossible to even consider for someone without insurance.

Maybe the $5 or $50 per pack tax could be used to pay for it. Also; make the cigarette companies match the tax by making them pay an additional tax (or "license to kill" fee) that they are not permitted to "pass along" to the smoker.

Have you noticed that the pharmaceutical companies are now all pushing COPD drugs. The ads are finally openly talking about smoking as the cause though COPD is thoroughly understood to be a "self-inflicted disease" caused by smoking.

I have the feeling that B.E. doesn't really want a $50/pack tax, but "raising the tax skyhigh" is a good idea. Help cut down new smokers getting started and help to encourage existing smokers to get some gum and STOP! Then use the tax money to help defray the cost of poor or uninsured smokers to get scans and to pay for COPD therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Mike View Post
    Scans are a great idea, and I agree that every smoker should get them, but scans but they're way too expensive to get without a referral. Probably impossible to even consider for someone without insurance.

Maybe the $5 or $50 per pack tax could be used to pay for it. Also; make the cigarette companies match the tax by making them pay an additional tax (or "license to kill" fee) that they are not permitted to "pass along" to the smoker.

Have you noticed that the pharmaceutical companies are now all pushing COPD drugs. The ads are finally openly talking about smoking as the cause though COPD is thoroughly understood to be a "self-inflicted disease" caused by smoking.

I have the feeling that B.E. doesn't really want a $50/pack tax, but "raising the tax skyhigh" is a good idea. Help cut down new smokers getting started and help to encourage existing smokers to get some gum and STOP! Then use the tax money to help defray the cost of poor or uninsured smokers to get scans and to pay for COPD therapy.
    Yes, the scoundrels actively market their deadly product to younger and younger kids, pay to have smoking shown over and over in movies as "cool", and attempt to enlist the very victims of their product (the only product that, when used as directed and intended, is deadly fatal) in a campaign to resist restrictions.
    I can still see all those cigarette executives sitting there, before Congress, under oath, solemly denying that their product was addictive! Even as they had deliberately pumped up the levels of nicotine for years to gurantee more addiction. What a shameful example that was of corporate immorality.
    And now they are still attempting to avoid any responsibility for directly manipulating the public for years, producing and marketing a poisonous product that's caused uncountable suffering and death, not to mention the billions in health care costs and pollution to our environment. It boggles the mind!
    Oh well, at least, once again, big Pharma gets to rake in the profits. It's really a one-two punch for American citizens. Corporate America sickens and weakens us by marketing unhealthy, poisonous products and lifestyles.........and then big Pharma does clean-up detail and posts record-breaking profits selling us drugs to treat the symptoms and predictable results. Everyone wins but us.

this is the "mob rule" mentality that concerns me about the left... you totally ignore the Constitution....tobacco is a legal product... I don't see how anybody can justify in Constitutional terms the excessive taxation geared towards steering behaviour... everyone knows the health risks..even 12 year olds... many times they've walked up to me and ask me why I'm doing something that's bad... individuals are free to make their own choices and it is not advertising that is to blame...it's bad choices made by individuals...that's the thing about the left..they never hold indviduals accountable.. it's always the "evil rich" influencing them to do wrong things....it's so much more "sheik" to blame wealthy corporations than an indvividual...

it's the "if it feels good do it" mentality that sets us up for more of the same in incremental fashion step by step....next it will be more taxes on rib eye steaks and burger king fast food to curb obesity and cholesteral.. smoking is bad, it stinks therefore it's an easy target politically....but yall's suggestion is bad policy and does injustice to what the Founding Fathers intended...

Arrow "Mob rule" ... by the right

Quote Originally Posted by big easy View Post
    this is the "mob rule" mentality that concerns me about the left... you totally ignore the Constitution....tobacco is a legal product...
    Well, wake up and smell the Kool-Aid!

Oxycodone is a legal product but taxed and regulated by the government.

Gasoline is a legal product taxed and regulated by the government.

Alcohol is legal but heavily taxed, at least in part, to encourage abstention.

Guns are legal products taxed and regulated by the government.

And so on, and on. It is, in fact and by constitution, one of the ways that we, The People, choose to govern ourselves.

As far as it being "left" or "right"; there just as many dead smokers on the right.

Abortion is a legal act, already heavily regulated by the government but the right doesn't want to tax it, they want to abolish it.

It is legal to be 18 or 19 but the war-mongering right wants to send all the [male] teens to be killed in Iraq. ("Support Our Troops" hah!)