Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: So flame away but I've got to say it.

Post Re: So flame away but I've got to say it.

I think it's absolutely appalling that anyone is questioning whether or not she "should" embark on this journey or not. She does have a husband who can care for this child also. Why isn't anyone so concerned about Obama's girls? And he would be PRESIDENT for pete' sake! As far as I'm concerned, kids need their moms AND dads. So I don't understand why it's so A-OK for Obama and not or Sarah Palin? Sexism at it's finest apparently.

Re: So flame away but I've got to say it.

Oh Jenny -- I SOOO agree with you. This attack on her for accepting the VEEP nomination is absurd and disgusting. I actually once posted to reines that I would have more respect for Obama if he didn't run, given the age of his kids.. I now regret ever stating that as I see it conflicts with my current attitude towards Palin and her family situation..
    MC

Wow!! We agree on something!! Wonders never cease! ; ) So this uproar leads me to believe that NO politician has kids. And if they do, they better resign right NOW! Oh wait.....maybe only the female politicians with kids should resign. Ugghh this whole thing just has me so mad!!

This morning I had Joe Scarborough and Mika (?? some long last name) on. They were talking to a few pundits... one was a Washington Post editorial writer who is pro Obama and the other was a pundit that has always supported Obama. Both men. One stated that people are wondering who is taking care of the kids if they are both working? Is it staff? Mika, the only woman stated... "you've got to be kidding me, right?" .. amazing. In this day when most families need to have both parents working, the pundits make a ridiculous statement like that. I'm pretty fired up about this sexism as well...
    MC

What really chaps my ass is that working women are casting aspersions on Sarah Palin. Women who have embraced the feminist principles that have taken so long to come forth. That a woman CAN hold down a job that takes her away from home and still be a good mother and instill healthy values in her children. Are we going to call this woman a failure as a mother because her teenage daughter got pregnant? I'm not. Are we going to say that she should "be home with the kids?". I'm not going to do that either. The 1950's were over a long time ago, thank God.

Quote Originally Posted by mtj View Post
    What really chaps my ass is that working women are casting aspersions on Sarah Palin. Women who have embraced the feminist principles that have taken so long to come forth. That a woman CAN hold down a job that takes her away from home and still be a good mother and instill healthy values in her children. Are we going to call this woman a failure as a mother because her teenage daughter got pregnant? I'm not. Are we going to say that she should "be home with the kids?". I'm not going to do that either. The 1950's were over a long time ago, thank God.
    It facinates me that people hear what they want to. Nobody here said she couldn't have a job or career, even one that involves traveling. Whether the media covers it or not, I don't see women today struggling the way they did 50 years ago. If anything, I've read articles by some wondering if what they fought for took a toll on other issues they didn't see coming.

This isn't about a woman with her challenges having a job, this is the VP of the US of A, so if that to some is just like any other job for working women, that's an interesting view.

IMO, the VP of the US is the second in command of the free world. Its more than just a career, its a public servant who is dealing with issues I, as a working mother, will NEVER have to face. Its a job that working FATHER'S will never have to face. So to nominate someone who has big issues to deal with (and this applies to my feelings on John Edwards, but nobody has addressed that parallel, we're to busy crying sexism) God forbid working women, who have made much smaller decisions than she, might have an objection.

Instead somehow we're sending women back 50 years? Again, interesting take. And if she were a man and we asked the same questions, what then? Would there be the same outcry I wonder?

No Megan. That's the POINT here I think. That if this WERE a man, nobody would be saying SQUAT about it. I am actually a stay at home mom, my kids are 9 and 10.
    I did work when they were babies, up until my daughter was 3 and my son 2. I feel very fortunate that I am able to do this, although now that they're getting older there are times I feel like going back to work would be a great thing for me. So I don't cast judgement on anyone who chooses to work, chooses to stay home, or who can't choose, and has no choice but to work 2 or 3 jobs. All I can do is do my best at raising my kids. I like to think that my daughter (and my son too!) will grow to be trustworthy and responsible as they enter into their teenage years. But I am not naive and realize I cannot be with them 24/7 during this time even if I AM a stay at home mom!
    And I also know that there are bound to be mad choices made, mistakes made. When those times come, I can only try to guide them in the right direction and hope they learn from it. What it comes down to is that your kids KNOW you love them, respect you and trust you and know you are there for them. I think Sarah Palin's family looks like they are a close, loving family. Yes her teenage daughter got pregnant. But I do not believe that means everyone's life must STOP in their family in order to deal with it.
    Aaahhhh ok I got off on a bit of a tangent. The thing I'm annoyed with the most is just this sexist double standard. If anyone is worried about Sarah Palin's kids, they should be equally worried about Obama's kids.

Quote Originally Posted by JennyC View Post
    If anyone is worried about Sarah Palin's kids, they should be equally worried about Obama's kids.
    Excellent point.