Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: So flame away but I've got to say it.

Re: So flame away but I've got to say it.

I am not comparing the two. It was an example of running on a platform yet not living up to what you expect others too. I thought I made that clear. Yes, I said it was extreme, I didn't have any other idea on the top of my head to throw out there.

It seems to me some think Sarah Palin's daughter isn't an issue. I was trying to give an example of why it is, using a different scenario to show it's about what one runs on and not living up to it.

Post Re: So flame away but I've got to say it.

Sarah Palin is not responsible for her daughter getting pregnant.

You win, I give up.

Let me be clear. I never said she had to stay home and not work if she chose. But being the VP of the US is vastly different than working close to home, even with a job that includes travel time.

Its not about the mother argument, its about a family argument and how MO is they need both parents supporting them right now. The John McCain example was perfect and ITA with it. He had no business running for president while his wife was battling cancer with two small children at home. That smack of selfish to me. She needed him and his kids needed him and he was out having an affair and running for President.

Quote Originally Posted by mtj View Post
    Sarah Palin is not responsible for her daughter getting pregnant.
    My mother took responsibility to ensure I DIDN'T get pregnant as a teen, by example and by her involvement in my life.

That is great Megan, and good for your mother.
    My point is that hundreds, maybe thousands of mothers do the very same
    thing and they still end up with pregnant teenage daughters.
    Or sons that have impregnated a teenage girl.
    I cannot fault Sarah Palin for her daughter becoming pregnant anymore than I would fault another parent whose child develops a drug problem.
    Parents are not with their teenage children every second, hovering over their every decision.
    Parents lay the best groundwork they can, and then hope that their children will make the right choices.
    Sometimes that doesn't happen, no matter how hard the parent tried.
    And I think you meant John Edwards, not John McCain in reference to the cancer thing.

Link here what Palin said about abstinance only, unfortunatley the Alaskan newspaper who had the orginal article has removed it.

http://irregulartimes.com/index.php/...sex-education/

This is something Republican's do all the time- support and cheerlead draconian standards......until (oops) it happens to them.
    So Dick Cheney carries his party's banner of discriminating against gay people and generally treating them like criminals-until his own daughter turns up gay.
    And there are many more examples- I just can't focus on them right now. But you get my point, no?
    They cheerlead this family values mantra......which includes the woman being the little mother.....until they want a career- and then it's different.
    They promote the fantasy of abstinance.....until one of their daughters ends up pregnant out of wedlock- and then it's different.
    I'm not saying that Palin or any other mother can't have a career.....whether or not her daughter is pregnant. I'm just pointing out (and I think Dustin was too) the incredible hypocrisy of the "party of family values"........who only really support and live those values (like everyone else) when they can.
    It goes to the bigger notion that Republicans (or any one party) can possibly be the party of family values........any more than it could be the party of the military. We're all only human- no matter which party we choose- and we all have failings and mistakes.
    Can Republicans just stop, once and for all, trying to wear the banner of family values? Can they stop pretending to be more virtuous and moral than Democrats...or anyone else? Can they just stop demonizing Democrats as being any less human than they are?