Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: So flame away but I've got to say it.

Re: So flame away but I've got to say it.

I'm focused on the issue because its one that hits home to me. Its become commonplace for teens to be pregnant and for the media to discuss it. Try explaining to your child how hard it is and why she shouldn't while she reads the papers about how accepted it is.

Yup, sorry, I said it and I mean it. She has big family issues right now, how much time can she devote to that and be the VP? Her immediate family NEEDS her. I never said she couldn't have a career or blend the two. But being VP of the USA is vastly different than a leader of a corporation or Mayor of a city or even Governor of Alaska.

I also think that McCain picked her JUST because she was a woman.

For the record, I don't think either candidate is the best for this country.

But thanks for calling me ignorant, I appreciate it.

Post Re: So flame away but I've got to say it.

ITA Megan. And I felt the same way about John Edwards(long before his affair became public). I felt like he had NO business running for President when he had a very sick wife at home and 2 small children who needed his time and attention. I would have admired hims so much more if he had decided NOT to run for President and had said he was going to devote all his time to taking care of his wife and children. WHY was it so important that he run for President? I feel the same way about Sarah Palin..WHY is it SO important for her to be running for political office when she has plenty on her plate at home? Certainly FAMILY is more important than politics.

I didn't call you ignorant Megan.
    I said I think it's ignorant to vote on a single issue.
    There is more to it than that.
    And I guess if having two small children at home is a factor, than Obama should withdraw from the race as well.

Quote Originally Posted by minicooper View Post
    I really see this differently than most here. If Palin were a man, few would be questioning things like not staying home because of a child with special needs, or returning to work too soon. Real double standard. I do think if she were male the teen pregnancy issue would still come up, but not with the same intensity... I cannot vote for the ticket because I do not agree with McCain/Palin on the issues.. but I'm really troubled by this sexist double standard.
    Does anyone seriously think that if Palin was a man McCain would have ever picked her?
    Call me old-school, but I still think it's predominately up to the mother to "mother" her kids........and no matter how much we admire fathers for stepping up..........there's just no relationship closer than the mother-child one.
    Also.......consider this, mini- since the right constantly tries to portray themselves as the only real "family" party of "family" values....and also the party that wishes to return to some fictional myth of family nirvana of the fifties........isn't it fair and appropriate to question their support for a candidate who seemingly shrugs it all off? I wouldn't care much at all about how many kids Palin has or what special needs they have, or how recklessly her daughter acts.......except that it's the Republicans who consistently try to get us to believe that we should all vote for them because they have a lock on family values.

Quote Originally Posted by mtj View Post
    I didn't call you ignorant Megan.
    I said I think it's ignorant to vote on a single issue.
    There is more to it than that.
    And I guess if having two small children at home is a factor, than Obama should withdraw from the race as well.
    MTJ -- You see it the way I do. As I said above, I won't vote for McCan/Pallin because of issues.. but this whole mother argument I see on this blog and so many others is making me ill. We really are a backwards lot. I don't care if the Repubs run on family values.. I don't think their family values state that a woman shlould stay home...
    MC

You know, I really don't get it.
    What? Sarah Palin doesn't believe in family values because her daughter is pregnant?
    Thousands of people raise their children with great family values.
    And many of those kids, drink, smoke dope and sometimes get pregnant.
    That doesn't mean their parents did anything wrong.
    It's the way of the world.

Just an interesting tidbit to throw out there, not sure how many people know it. Since you are all having the mothering man/woman staying home to take care of the kids.

Sarah Palin is against pay equity for women, because in fact women do take off more time from work to stay home with their kids when things come up.

As for the whole "Family Values" debate and how or why Sarah's daughter is important? Let's turn it around.

Obama's come out pretty much for strict gun regulation control. What would happen if suddenly one of Obama's girls blew the other away with an AK47 Obama had laying around his house. Handgun accidents do happen every day. Would we shrug it off and say it's unfortunate, but has no baring on his ability to be president? Yeah the example is extreme, but you get the picture.

It's about practicing what you preach for me I guess. Sorry, but Sarah Palin, like other Republicans, have no problem preaching family values and setting laws and regulations that do have impact on families. So if your own family can't live up to what you believe in and expect me to be subjected to through laws or programs you put in place, then yes I have a problem.

Wow, we are supposed to compare a pregnant teenager to accidental death? Wow.
    Being against gun control and owning a gun is way different than being a proponent of family values and having your teenage daughter get pregnant.