Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: So flame away but I've got to say it.

Post So flame away but I've got to say it.

This teen pregnancy with Palin's daughter has me fuming. I'm trying to raise a 9 year old girl to believe that babies is something that happens after college, after marriage. When the Spears thing happened Zoey 101 went off in my house. So why would I treat this with kid gloves and call it a 'family' issue. When she accepted the nod for VP of the USofA it became a public issue. Palin accepted her place in the public spotlight and all that came with it. So to that I say what kind of mother and role model is she for women that this is just a 'mistake'.

There are millions of teen girls and boys who don't get pregnant. I want my daughter to follow that example, not that this is a 'family' issue. I'm not saying it might not happen in my family, but I'm going to do everything every day to ensure it doesn't, the way my parents did to me!

I do think it impacts her ability to be an effective VP. She's got a 5 month old with special needs and now will have a grandchild as well? At who's expense? Are the taxpayers paying the salaries of the nannies?

I'm sorry but I think McCain blew it. I think he could've had this in the bag but this is to controversial for me. If he picked a woman cause he wanted the Hillary vote, wrong choice. Hillary's daughter is an accomplished woman. That alone is a glaring difference.

I guess I'm just tired of putting the PC face on teen pregnancy. And it wouldn't matter to me if it were dem or repub. I think Sarah Palin needs to spend time at home with her family right now.

Post Re: So flame away but I've got to say it.

Amen...you've said it all. The Republicans, to me, are hypocrites to be preaching "family values" and yet seem to be fine with this child having a child and with a Mother who apprently did Not teach her child about birth control! Its the 21st century...birth control is available and should be used so that young people, who are Not prepared to raise a child, dont have to ponder the decision to have an abortion(which Republicans dont give women the option). And now this child is open to public scrutiny and discussion...the Mother had to know when she accepted the VP slot that her family would be open to scrutiny...why put your child thru this?! And I still ask, who the heck is taking care of Sarah's new special needs baby while she's galivanting all over the country? McCain obviously didnt know much about this woman but just picked her for the 'shock" value..I cant imagine that real Hillary fans would vote for this woman just because she's a woman, because Hillary's stand on most issues are totally the opposite of Sarah's. The whole thing is just a gimmick.

Children learn their values at home.
    Not from television or political candidates.
    There is nothing "PC" about teen pregnancy.
    As far as I know, it is still discouraged by most people.
    That being said, teenagers are still getting pregnant.
    It's a real issue and real issues need to be addressed, not
    shushed up in the corner.
    No one is holding up Sarah Palin's daughter as a role model.
    If anything, she will probably serve as a deterrent.
    I don't know too many 17-year-olds who WANT to get pregnant.
    But it happens.
    And I will not be in line to throw any stones at a teenage kid who made a mistake.

No flames from me.

I think what bothers me most is McCain's questionable choice. Yeah, teen pregnancy, I think we can all agree it isn't ideal, but it happens and it isn't really the pregnancy that bothers me the most. Palin has been vocal about abstinence only sex ed as well as being anti-choice (though now is proud of her daughter's choice which I assume must mean keeping the baby). So, the kids are going to marry. And Palin has a pre-toddler with Downs Syndrome. My gut reaction is that any parent with these two challenges is asking a lot of their support system and family when they agree to go through what a national campaign demands.

McCain choosing her, with her limited experience and these challenges feels rash. If the point is to have someone in place if the unthinkable happens to the President, she is not the right person.

I read yesterday that McCain wanted Lieberman but the party leaders were very against that choice, so he want with Palin. That makes him sound like a petulant teen. I don't know if it's true, but even if it isn't,I don't understand what Palin has that he needs, ticket-wise. As Obama said, I think people's families should be off limits, but leaving her family out of it, Palin has enough red flags to lose any thought I may have had about giving McCain my vote.
    Only an expert can deal with the problem

Re: So flame away but I've got to say it.

I really see this differently than most here. If Palin were a man, few would be questioning things like not staying home because of a child with special needs, or returning to work too soon. Real double standard. I do think if she were male the teen pregnancy issue would still come up, but not with the same intensity... I cannot vote for the ticket because I do not agree with McCain/Palin on the issues.. but I'm really troubled by this sexist double standard.
    MC

Re: So flame away but I've got to say it.

I disagree. I think I would feel the same way about a man who chose to run while parenting a baby with Downs Syndrome and coping with all that will come with a pregnant teenager. Especially if that man was all about the "family values" that Palin preaches. How can any parent (not MOM, parent) say it's family first and then expose the daughter to the publicity she has already gotten? And how can any parent of a special needs child deal with what comes with that and help run the country? I'll be interested to hear her answers to the inevitable questions she will face regarding living arrangements, just for starters. Will teen daughter and new husband be staying in Alaska? Will the rest of the family be relocating to DC?

I really don't think these are sexist issues. I think they are parenting issues and I would hope a man would be asked the same questions.
    Only an expert can deal with the problem

Wow, here's a concept.
    Sarah Palin is not stupid.
    She knew that her family would end up under scrutiny for this teenage pregnancy issue.
    And she chose to accept the invitation to run for Vice President anyway.
    I'm guessing she figured her family could handle the backlash.
    Good for her.
    I have to wonder what kind of a backwards country we are living in when a mother of a special needs baby and a pregnant teenage daughter is spoken about in these terms:
    "She needs to be home with her family, not out on the campaign trail."
    I mean really, are people somehow casting aspersions on this woman for having a special needs baby and a teenage daughter who got pregnant?
    And since when does a woman need to "tend to her house" instead of doing that and blending it with a successful career?
    I know plenty of women who have jobs who take them away from home and their children on a regular basis.
    Am I supposed to think that they are "bad mothers" because of that?
    I don't.
    Sarah Palin is a woman, who has a family that has issues.
    Just like most of the women in this country.
    Are we all going gather together and stone her for that?
    There is no "squeaky clean" candidate.
    We all have family issues, and things in our past that we are not proud of.
    I find it beyond sad that the media, and the public, are so focused on this "pregnant teenage daughter" issue.
    Let the woman show what she's made of and stand on her political issues.
    Jeeze, even Obama had the class to say "we do not attack people's families."
    So her daughter is seventeen and pregnant.
    Unfortunate, but it has nothing to do with how she will successfully fill the role as Vice President.
    People who will vote against McCain/Palin on this one issue, are as ignorant as people who will vote "for" on any other "one" issue.
    It's not about who is black, or who is a woman, or whose kid made a bad decision one night.
    It's about who is best suited to run our country.

Quote Originally Posted by minicooper View Post
    I really see this differently than most here. If Palin were a man, few would be questioning things like not staying home because of a child with special needs, or returning to work too soon. Real double standard. I do think if she were male the teen pregnancy issue would still come up, but not with the same intensity... I cannot vote for the ticket because I do not agree with McCain/Palin on the issues.. but I'm really troubled by this sexist double standard.
    I use to believe there were even standards for men and women regarding raising children. And in many ways I still do. Men are just as capable of staying home and raising great kids. Men are just as responsible for taking sick days from work. My Dad watched us when my Mom worked nights as a nurse and it was wonderful.

But...when it comes to my daughter I always end up the main caregiver. Its me who takes days off when she's sick. Its me who signs her up for soccer and gets involved at school. And yup, I work full time and I travel for work. Her Dad helps, she's with him 3 days a week, but for whatever reason, the bulk of life falls on my shoulders. And I see it more and more with my friends who hold full time jobs.

She is a woman, and she is putting her family in the spotlight. This is exactly why Colin Powell never wanted to run and I applaud him for it. The harsh reality is she's got a special needs baby and a grandbaby on the way. As a woman that means different things than it does a man.

And for the record, I also echo Annie's post. I think this wacky choice for McCain just shows it could be 4 years of wacky choices. And that scares me. If the unthinkable happens then she's President.