Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Let the Games Begin

Post Let the Games Begin

I just read that US Women's soccer team starts playing on the 6th and Men's soccer on the 7th. I thought nothing was happening before Opening Ceremonies on Friday evening.

NBC announced that the Opening will be televised begining at 7:30 ET. They aren't specific, but I assume that means earlier for Central and Pacific time. Anyone know for sure?
    Only an expert can deal with the problem

Re: Let the Games Begin

It starts at 7:30 here in Pacific Time.

I'm looking forward to the games and the ceremonies tonight. I enjoy so many of the sports for the summer olympics. Gymnastics, swimming and diving are my favs.

I just hope the games can stay peaceful for the sake of the athletes that have worked so hard to get there.

Post Re: Let the Games Begin

I thought the Opening Ceremonies were amazing and beautiful. All the colors and use of lights and special effects were so cool. I always enjoy all the Opening Ceremonies and its always fun to see the Parade of Nations and see what all the athletes are wearing to represent their countries. The way they lit the Torch was amazing too...that fellow flying through the air!
    My favorite sports to watch are Gymnastics and swimming, and I always like the personal stories. Wasnt it fun to see that little boy with Xao Ming, the tall basketball player?

The ceremonies were beautiful. Probably the best I've seen in my lifetime.

I'm just sad that a killing has already taken place. I'm saddened for the US Volleyball coach who lost his FIL in this stabbing. It's a shame.

I agree--the opening ceremonies were eye-boggling, and I have to imagine that being there was amazing. Too bad for the athletes that have to miss them because their events are so early during the Games.

How horrible for the USA volleyball coach to have lost his FIL in such a violent fashion, and for his MIL to be seriously injured.
    I like monkeys.

Was that not the weirdest arrangement of our national anthem for Michael Phelps? They played the first verse 3 times and then it cut off. Jeepers!

Post Re: Let the Games Begin

CNN reports that the young singer at Opening Ceremonies was lip syncing. I thought so what, then read the rest:

Games organizers confirm that Lin Miaoke, who performed "Ode to the Motherland" as China's flag was paraded Friday into Beijing's National Stadium, was not singing at all.

Lin was lip-syncing to the sound of another girl, 7-year-old Yang Peiyi, who was heard but not seen, apparently because she was deemed not cute enough.
    I guess I'm not really surprised, but disappointed. Poor kid.
    Only an expert can deal with the problem

I read this too and think it's horrible. Sadly, I'm not surprised about it either, but what does that do to a child heart and mind? It's sad.