The Beach Boys
The U.S. Singles Collection: The Capitol Years (1962-1965)

2 out of 5 stars
Reviewed for Coffeerooms by Mike JeffersonIt’ sum..sum…Summertime, which means its time for yet another Beach Boys compilation. This year’s model is “The U.S. Singles Collection: The Capitol Years (1962-1965),” a boxed set containing 14 singles, an EP, and a bonus disc of material released during the group’s earliest years. Break out the surf boards, Coppertone and yer little deuce coupes.

The limited edition box set has a wood inlay, and includes a hardbound 48-page book of candid period photos of the group. (Check out Brian playing guitar in a fur collar, or the boys wearing identical Fall ensembles on the beach.) Each of the 16 CDs is packaged in a sleeve that that faithfully replicates the single’s original artwork. So what’s the attraction for those of us who are unimpressed by a pretty package? The sound, and I’m not talking about the echo of the surf pounding against the sand. The A and B sides are presented in both mono and stereo versions, with many of the mixes such as those for “When I Grow Up To Be A Man,” “Little Saint Nick,” “Do You Wanna Dance” and “She Knows Me” previously unreleased. Three previously unreleased mono mixes are included as well for “I’m So Young,” “Why Do Fools Fall In Love?” and “All Dressed Up For School.” That’s enough to make a devout Beach Boy fan do wheelies for a week. There’s also one final treat for all you Moondogies – a live performance of “409” recorded in Chicago in 1965. You may not always hear the Boys for the screaming and their execution is a bit wobbly, but you still have the novelty of ancient history come to life; Annette Funicello and Frankie Avalon are teenagers again and all is right with the world.

More...