Thread: There is NO future of this show...

Exclamation There is NO future of this show...

I'd hate to burst some people's bubbles, but ALL soaps are on the decline and are a dying genre. With the ratings slump Days has been in the last couple of years mixed with a dwindling and unhappy fan base, the show won't stand a chance of being picked up even when it's canceled in 2009 (if it doesn't get canceled before then).

TPTB know the odds of the show continuing past 2009, so with this knowledge, why even bother trying to ensure the future of the show with characters no one cares about or whose fan base is negligible compared to others?

I sincerely believe that what doomed the show in the first place was that TPTB were so preoccupied with insuring the future of the show, that they lost sight of the present. The SORAS'ing of Belle, Philip, Shawn, and Brady was, in retrospect, the beginning of the end of Days. NONE of these characters managed to garner the kind of fan bases that TPTB had hoped for or previous characters had developed. Compared to John and Marlena, Bo and Hope, Jack and Jennifer, Steve and Kayla, Kim and Shane and so forth, the coupling of the next generation was a FLOP. Let's face it. It was.

Getting to the point. With the current state Days is in and its impending doom, why can't TPTB stop bringing in new characters (and the new front burner storylines that surround them) and focus on the already established characters and their fan bases that are just salivating for a good story. I mean, it seems like a no brainer to please the fans that you already have.

The sooner TPTB realize that the show is doomed, the sooner they can realize that the best kind of storytelling is in the now. Screw the future. My plea to TPTB is to use your current and very talented cast to tell some awesome storylines before that last grain of sand falls through the once ever flowing hour glass.

Days has the luxury most shows won't ever have. It knows its end point! The prime time tv show LOST fought long and hard for this very luxury because they knew it would enable them to plot and plan the remaining episodes and storylines and make them the best they can be. That's what Days should focus on; ending the show with some dignity and some good fan pleasing storylines. At this rate, the legacy of Days is going to leave a bitter taste in many people's mouths.

Post Re: There is NO future of this show...

Quote Originally Posted by aly_evenstar View Post
    With the ratings slump Days has been in the last couple of years mixed with a dwindling and unhappy fan base, the show won't stand a chance of being picked up even when it's canceled in 2009

TPTB know the odds of the show continuing past 2009, so with this knowledge, why even bother trying to ensure the future of the show with characters no one cares about or whose fan base is negligible compared to others?

I sincerely believe that what doomed the show in the first place was that TPTB were so preoccupied with insuring the future of the show, that they lost sight of the present. The SORAS'ing of Belle, Philip, Shawn, and Brady was, in retrospect, the beginning of the end of Days. NONE of these characters managed to garner the kind of fan bases that TPTB had hoped for or previous characters had developed. Compared to John and Marlena, Bo and Hope, Jack and Jennifer, Steve and Kayla, Kim and Shane and so forth, the coupling of the next generation was a FLOP. Let's face it. It was.

Getting to the point. With the current state Days is in and its impending doom, why can't TPTB stop bringing in new characters (and the new front burner storylines that surround them) and focus on the already established characters and their fan bases that are just salivating for a good story. I mean, it seems like a no brainer to please the fans that you already have.

The sooner TPTB realize that the show is doomed, the sooner they can realize that the best kind of storytelling is in the now. Screw the future. My plea to TPTB is to use your current and very talented cast to tell some awesome storylines before that last grain of sand falls through the once ever flowing hour glass.

Days has the luxury most shows won't ever have. It knows its end point! The prime time tv show LOST fought long and hard for this very luxury because they knew it would enable them to plot and plan the remaining episodes and storylines and make them the best they can be. That's what Days should focus on; ending the show with some dignity and some good fan pleasing storylines. At this rate, the legacy of Days is going to leave a bitter taste in many people's mouths.
    I agree and disagree. DirecTV picked up Passions so Days has a chance to go there although that most likely won't last long term at all. I do agree the show should realize the 2009 deadline and realize that's not enough time to establish new characters that no one has invested any time or interest in. They need to give the fans what they want as that is the only way to increase the ratings

Fans want differing things, obviously, or these boards wouldn't be so argumentative. J&M, B&H, etc have the most fans because they've been on the longest and have BEEN given great storylines and writing to make the audience love and root for them. However, there are many fans who DO like Shawn/Belle/Phillip, Sami/Lucas, etc - I DO get your point that the ratings show there aren't as many fans for them as there are the others...I think if there is a certain budget and we demand more storylines with higher paid actors then the actors need to be willing to take a pay decrease especially if the show isn't getting the same funding due to low ratings.

I also think if the fans want to ensure that the show sticks around just so they can see their faves - J/M, etc....then they need to be willing to tune in, make their voices heard, not just on boards but start a campaign letting the producers and writers know JUST how many of them are out there and what they demand for this show, but turning off the tv's causing low ratings aren't doing J/M, or the actors that play them, any favors either....it's just making sure the show goes off the air and they are out of work

Quote Originally Posted by aly_evenstar View Post
    I'd hate to burst some people's bubbles, but ALL soaps are on the decline and are a dying genre. With the ratings slump Days has been in the last couple of years mixed with a dwindling and unhappy fan base, the show won't stand a chance of being picked up even when it's canceled in 2009 (if it doesn't get canceled before then).

I agree with this. I think they should stop trying to cultivate "the next generation" or whatever and give us the couples viewers have come to love over the years. Let them have some closure and let the show go out on a high note. Even if the soap does get picked up by some network, it'll never be the same and it's already been going through a slow and painful death as is. I say they end it right, with pride and dignity.

Re: There is NO future of this show...

Excellent post, and I agree completely!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by La Mariposa View Post
    I agree with this. I think they should stop trying to cultivate "the next generation" or whatever and give us the couples viewers have come to love over the years. Let them have some closure and let the show go out on a high note. Even if the soap does get picked up by some network, it'll never be the same and it's already been going through a slow and painful death as is. I say they end it right, with pride and dignity.
    That will never happen, and you just know that the last episode will be focused on Josh Taylor's characterization of Fauxman.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali_Fan View Post
    I also think if the fans want to ensure that the show sticks around just so they can see their faves - J/M, etc....then they need to be willing to tune in, make their voices heard, not just on boards but start a campaign letting the producers and writers know JUST how many of them are out there and what they demand for this show, but turning off the tv's causing low ratings aren't doing J/M, or the actors that play them, any favors either....it's just making sure the show goes off the air and they are out of work
    I'm tired of constantly telling them how to fix Days. They never listen. Sure they bring back old faves, and tell us that couples like J&M and B&H will get big new frontburner stories, but it's always a lie. How many times do you let them make a fool out of you? This isn't physics or brain surgery. They need to bring back Sheri Anderson and let her work her magic on characters she knows and LOVES. And frankly, the only time they ever get the message is if people TUNE OUT. Watching a show that isn't entertaining does nobody any good.