Thread: My experience HRC event in DC last night

Post My experience HRC event in DC last night

I went to a Hillary Clinton campaign event in DC last night and had a great time!!

A couple of weeks ago, a friend told me about a HRC event that was geared toward the under 30 years old crowd. It was relatively cheap--$20 entrance fee and it had a great guest lineup: Madeline Albright, Geraldine Ferraro, Billie Jean King and of course Hillary Clinton. I wanted to check it out. I figured that there wouldn't be too many opportunities to go to a HRC event here in the DC area since the DC area really isn't in play in the primaries.

Because my friend and I only paid $20 for the event, I expected that we would get stuck in the back, while the higher paid donors would get a better view in the front. NOT SO!! After we handed our tickets to the HRC handler, we headed toward the front where the stage was and found a spot at the front and center. We had an AMAZING view of everything.

Caroline Rhea of the Biggest Loser and Sabrina, the Teenage Witch, hosted the event. She brought a lot of humor and enthusiasm to her hosting duties. There were great speeches by Barbara Mikulski, my senator (MD-Sen), former Secretary of State Madeline Albright, VP candidate Geraldine Ferraro and tennis legend Billie Jean King. The theme of the event was celebrating firsts for women. For instance, Mikulski was the first woman to be elected to the Senate and not be a widow of a male senator; Ferraro was the first woman to be nominated as a VP candidate for a major party; Albright was the first woman to be selected to serve as Secretary of State; Billie Jean King was the first woman to play against a man in a tennis match called the Battle of the Sexes. Of course, all of the speakers made it clear that they want HRC to become the first woman US president.

HRC did a great job when she got on the stage and began speaking extemporaneously. She hit the typical themes: get the troops out of Iraq, energy independence, renewing alliances around the world and reforming healthcare.

It was a good event, worth every penny that I spent. Highly recommended that people attend these type of political events, no matter what your political affiliation is, if given the opportunity....

Anway, the NY Times wrote a brief blurb about the event and you can see me in the picture accompanying the article:

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...s-block-party/

I'm the second person from the left, in the peach shirt, front row.
    "It's hard for your opponent to tell lies about you if your fist is in his mouth."

--Bill Clinton

Post Re: My experience HRC event in DC last night

Hey ademption, it's exciting to be around powerful politicians, eh? I'm glad it was so rewarding for you. I've seen Hillary in person several times- but have only been to one "event" where she spoke. She can come across very powerful and well. There's no doubt in my mind that she has the intelligence, guts and wisdom to be president. But I'm still not convinced she's the best choice.
    Did this convince you yet that she should get your vote? LOL.

Post Re: My experience HRC event in DC last night

Quote Originally Posted by reines View Post
    Hey ademption, it's exciting to be around powerful politicians, eh? I'm glad it was so rewarding for you. I've seen Hillary in person several times- but have only been to one "event" where she spoke. She can come across very powerful and well. There's no doubt in my mind that she has the intelligence, guts and wisdom to be president. But I'm still not convinced she's the best choice.
    Did this convince you yet that she should get your vote? LOL.
    I'm still undecided at this point and probably will remain neutral throughout the primary season. I want to read all of the candidate's position papers, see how they do in the debates and evaluate whether they can handle the pressures of the tedious nomination process over the next several months. Besides by the time the nomination process comes to Maryland (Feb 12th), the Democratic party will already have a nominee.

However, I've really been impressed by HRC lately. I had forgotten how smart and witty she is. The Clintons came into power when I was in high school and I didn't follow the healthcare debate that much. I hadn't really heard her speak too much. I guess my pov about her had been influenced by the right wing noise machine and I wasn't even aware of it. I didn't find her cold at all. Her demeanor was a lot warmer than I expected. During the debates, I thought that she explained her positions very well. I don't agree with her on some issues, but I'm not going to gnash my teeth and tear up my garments should she become the Democratic nominee either. I'm more comfortable with her now than I was even 3 months ago.

At this point after 8 years of Pres. Bush, I'll be very satisfied with whomever Democratic primary voters choose next year.....
    "It's hard for your opponent to tell lies about you if your fist is in his mouth."

--Bill Clinton

Re: My experience HRC event in DC last night

This notion that Hillary Clinton is cold and bitchy is definitely a right-wing talking point made to appear as conventional wisdom! She's got a great sense of humor and has the ability to speak fluently and at length without having to resort to cue cards or memorization- something that just can't be said about most of them.
    I'm still not comfortable with her actions and words about this war- but I have no doubt at all in my mind that, if she were elected, she would be more than competent to be president.
    The catch for me is- is she electable? I still don't think she is- at this point.