Thread: Talladega Baby! Thoughts and questions

Talking Talladega Baby! Thoughts and questions

Okay, here we are at Talladega. Now it gets interesting. :-)
    I love Talladega because anything can happen!
    I hate Talladega because anything can happen!
    I enjoy Talladega because anything can happen!
    I fear Talladega because anything can happen!

I think Talladega is the only track on the circuit where your driver can drop from 1st to 41st in 1.5 seconds without anything terrible happening to his car. Just suddenly your freightrained and BAM! You're in the back faster than, well the Bam 49 car.
    Of course it is also the place where you're more likely to go from 30th to 1st in the blink of an eye! Talladega brings out the best and the worst of the crazy Nascar fan in me! lol As an Earnhardt Jr fan it is the best of the best in tracks, but it can also be the heartbreak race of the season. Mostly because there's so much potential here. We go into Talladega knowing that he can win at this track. He is the master of Talladega, but, did I mention that anything can happen at Dega? So, while it might be the best race of the season for a Jr fan, it might prove to be the race that puts me over the edge and causes me to spend hours curled up in the corner repeatedly mumbling, "but it's Talladega, he's supposed to win here"

Okay, so what do you guys think of Talladega?
    *Love it or hate it?
    *If you could only go to one race a season and your choice was Bristol of Dega, which would you choose?
    *Who do you think will win Sunday?
    *Will there be a big one in the new car?
    *Who will end up on their roof?
    *Who won't finish the race?
    *How many times will the commentators say the name - Talladega?
    Last edited by Tiggermom; 4.25.08 at 1:13 PM. Reason: to fix typos

Re: Talladega Baby! Thoughts and questions

Gonna go ahead and post my answers now - I hope you all will jump in. If you're new to the board, just jump in, we don't bite and we love company!

Okay, so what do you guys think of Talladega?
    *Love it or hate it? BOTH! see my post above. :-)
    *If you could only go to one race a season and your choice was Bristol of Dega, which would you choose? I think I'd have to say Talladega because of the potential for a Jr win there.
    *Who do you think will win Sunday? um, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say, Jr. lol Not just because he's my favorite driver, but because he knows this track and how to win here, he and Tony Jr know this track, Hendrick drivers do really well here, and because he's BACK! If he has a bad finish here this race you can find me in the corner in the fetal position.
    *Will there be a big one in the new car? I think there might be, more because of drivers not being sure how the car handles here. So I'll say yeah.
    *Who will end up on their roof? Well, let's see, I think Sadler has actually finished on his tires in the most recent Dega races hasn't he? lol Maybe one of the rookies? I guess that's too easy. hmm, okay, I'll say either Montoya will end up on his roof, of he'll be the one who causes someone else to end up there. Because I don't know if you've noticed but he usually looks like a pinball out there on the track (any track) bouncing off stuff and yet still finishing pretty well after he's taken out a handful of other drivers. Not sure how he does it, but I seem to remember that Gordon started his first year in a similar fashion so once Montoya gets a handle on stock cars who knows what he might be capable of. Until then, pray your driver isn't one of his victims.
    *Who won't finish the race? hmm, I'm torn here between Almendinger and one of the Ganassi guys, Sorenson or Montoya. Okay, I'm gonna go with Almendinger.
    *How many times will the commentators say the name - Talladega? about a gazillion - because they just love to say it! lol I remember the first race I watched at Talladega I said to my husband, they sure love saying the name of this track don't they? Well, since I don't think any of us are actually gonna count, I'll just go for about once every other sentence.

Post Re: Talladega Baby! Thoughts and questions

*Love it or hate it?
    I have a love/hate relationship with Talladega.
    I love the race, it's always exciting, but something bad usually happens to the person I want to win.

*If you could only go to one race a season and your choice was Bristol of Dega, which would you choose?
    Oh, that's a tough one. Logically, Talladega, I used to live there and I probably wouldn't have to spend a dime past my ticket to the race and getting there. I have lots of friends there that would loan me a couch and feed me.
    But for the race? Bristol Baby! Something about the short tracks is just so dang exciting.

*Who do you think will win Sunday?
    I have no idea, and I'm hesitant to say anything outloud because I don't want to jinx it.
    *Will there be a big one in the new car?
    Anything's possible, but I think it will, there's more room to pass, more room to do anything and it's just so fast! Someone is going to get cocky and wham!
    I still remember when Bobby Allison went through the fence in 87 I think.
    *Who will end up on their roof?
    Who will...or who do I *want* to end up on their roof
    If I had to make a prediction, it's going to be one of the new openwheel guys. Honestly, they should make them stay in Nationwide for a year or 2 before they let them run Sprint Cup. They scare me.
    *Who won't finish the race?
    Robby Gordon...Michael Waltrip...Franchitti...and probably Jeff Green/Johnny Sauter (I can't remember which one is driving this weekend) oh...and add Paul Menard to that list.
    *How many times will the commentators say the name - Talladega?
    Better question...how many times will they say "Digger is digging Dega" or something stupid like that

I can totally relate to the love/hate relationship thing. That's how I feel. I love Talladega but it's so unpredictable. I know what you mean about short track racing and about Bristol. I think Talladega and Bristol are probably the two best tracks on the circuit, imo.
    lol about who will end up on their roof or who do you want to. That sounds like me. lol I agree with the open wheel thing also. They need a learning curve I think and I'm tired of seeing drivers who are running for titles paying the price for inexperienced drivers.
    I really do hope Waltrip has a good finish. I really want to see his team succeed. I like him.
    oh no, I think you nailed it with the digger remark.
    Here's to a great race tomorrow!

Post Re: Talladega Baby! Thoughts and questions

It would appear I need to change my answer, Franchitti isn't even going to get to start the race because of the wreck in the Nationwide series. He took a dang hard hit, I'm glad it's only a broken ankle, he got very lucky. So, I'll pick Kyle Petty for one of the DNF's.

Did you watch the Nationwide race? I have a feeling Kevin Lepage is going to find out exactly what payback means.
    Idiot, flippin' idiot. Would he merge onto the interstate like that?

Sorry I missed these questions. My daugter is graduating high school in a few short weeks and things are hectic at best! Something else to do each weekend.
    As far as the Talladega vs. Bristol question I would have to answer Dega because we have been to Bristol before and I want to go to a track I haven't been to before.

I hadn't seen the nationwide race but I saw what happened on raceday, wow! Not a smart move! Oh my gosh! What was he thinking? Franchitti was lucky he only broke his ankle in that other wreck!