Thread: Edwards nails it

Post Edwards nails it

... The war on terror is a slogan designed only for politics, not a strategy to make America safe. It's a bumper sticker, not a plan. It has damaged our alliances and weakened our standing in the world. As a political "frame," it's been used to justify everything from the Iraq War to Guantanamo to illegal spying on the American people...

But the worst thing about this slogan is that it hasn't worked. The so-called "war" has created even more terrorism—as we have seen so tragically in Iraq. The State Department itself recently released a study showing that worldwide terrorism has increased 25% in 2006, including a 40% surge in civilian fatalities.

By framing this as a "war," we have walked right into the trap that terrorists have set—that we are engaged in some kind of clash of civilizations and a war against Islam.

The "war" metaphor has also failed because it exaggerates the role of only one instrument of American power—the military. This has occurred in part because the military is so effective at what it does. Yet if you think all you have is a hammer, then every problem looks like a nail.

www.johnedwards.com/news/speeches/20070523-cfr/

Re: Edwards nails it

Edwards is doing very well. Right now I'm torn between him and Clinton. Obama hasn't been impressing me all that much. He seems very flat in the debates. Clinton and Edwards seem much more engaged and in control. I've heard Obama is a very good stump speaker. However, here in MA we won't see any of the candidates.

Re: Edwards nails it

Much as I hate to admit it- Clinton did very well. But she's still not being called on her misrepresentations of her positions on this war- by any of them.
    I thought Obama seemed tired in this debate....definitely not at his best.
    But honestly, Carrie, I'm so sick of these stupid questions they get asked......and the ridiculous hand raising and bang-bang pace- that I'm disgusted watching any of them.