Thread: New flowers this year...

Post New flowers this year...

Hello gardeners, This year I have added some new plants to my raised beds. I am trying Verbenas. Don't know if they will come back next year, I'm hoping. They are purple and very pretty. My pansies are still looking good. And I moved a foxglove from the creek bank to my flower bed. So far it looks OK.

Lets hear about your garden.

CJ
    Have a great day!
    CJ

Re: New flowers this year...

Where are all the gardeners on this forum? Verbenas aren't hardy in my zone 5 garden.........not sure where you are. Although considering global warming maybe I should try them again. I just found the most beautiful hardy geranium with maroon leaves and light purple flowers- really gorgeous. I hope it does as well as my other ones with green leaves. They really spread out into quite a large, rounded, beautifully-shaped plant. I also got some of the shorter shasta daisies with frilly petals- I hope they spread as well. It's been so dry here this year- really unusual for us. I'm amazed at how well everything is doing, considering the lack of rain. But at least the slug population is way down!
    Are your pansies the icicle ones? I never had good luck with pansies until I tried them- they are doing great this year- despite how dry it is.
    One of my absolute favorite plants is the peony. I have about six or seven of them now- and they all do wonderfully, no pest or disease problems, and always beautiful flowers. They were a sight to see this year! Truly a carefree perennial....except for staking them if you are picky about them flopping over in rain. Roses are such a pain in my area....but peonies never fail to come through.

Re: New flowers this year...

Hi Reines, So good to see someone show up besides me. I am in zone 7. I've never tried geraniums, but I have seen them on porches or steps in pots. They are very pretty. I may give them a try next year.

We had a dry spell for awhile so I had to water my flowers and tomatos. But in the last two weeks we have been having afternoon thundershowers. Thats enough that I don't have to water right now.

When it was so dry we had trouble with Japanese beetles on my one climbing rose bush. I spray like crazy and then they went to the weeping cherry(no blooms) and the burning bush and then found some on a couple of lantans'... Haven't seen any in a few days cause of the rain I guess.

My pansies are winter kind. I guess thats what you mean by icicle??? They will start to die sometime in July when its really really HOT.

We tried peony one time but they didn't do too well. Probably bad soil and then that was a long time ago too and when we didn't know as much about flowers as we do now. I'm trying to gradually add perrenials to our beds so one day all the WORK will be completed. LOL!!!! They are raised beds so we don't get too many weeds.

Oops, get me started on plants and I don't know when to shut up.
    Have a great day!
    CJ

Post Re: New flowers this year...

Quote Originally Posted by soapyCJ View Post
    Hi Reines, So good to see someone show up besides me. I am in zone 7. I've never tried geraniums, but I have seen them on porches or steps in pots. They are very pretty. I may give them a try next year.

We had a dry spell for awhile so I had to water my flowers and tomatos. But in the last two weeks we have been having afternoon thundershowers. Thats enough that I don't have to water right now.

When it was so dry we had trouble with Japanese beetles on my one climbing rose bush. I spray like crazy and then they went to the weeping cherry(no blooms) and the burning bush and then found some on a couple of lantans'... Haven't seen any in a few days cause of the rain I guess.

My pansies are winter kind. I guess thats what you mean by icicle??? They will start to die sometime in July when its really really HOT.

We tried peony one time but they didn't do too well. Probably bad soil and then that was a long time ago too and when we didn't know as much about flowers as we do now. I'm trying to gradually add perrenials to our beds so one day all the WORK will be completed. LOL!!!! They are raised beds so we don't get too many weeds.

Oops, get me started on plants and I don't know when to shut up.
    There are two different kinds of geraniums, soapy, the ones that you see in pots everywhere are probably annuals- that is, they die in the winter for good. The kind I'm talking about are perennials- they come back every year. And nothing much seems to bother them- no pest problems, diseases, etc.
    Lucky you, to be in zone 7! You can grow things I can't. And you probably have much better luck with roses. I know what you mean about the Japanese beetles- they have just arrived here and are devouring my roses. I've had some success going out early in the morning (when they are sluggish) and picking them off the plants into a bucket of soapy water. It's amazing how much damage they can do in such a short time. I'm still looking for the bird or critter that will eat them- and save me the trouble! And, when the beetles are finaly gone- it will be grasshopper time. I'm wondering just how bad they'll be this year- considering how dry everything is. It's always something, isn't it? LOL
    Good luck with the notion that someday all the work will be completed! Somehow, it never seems to work out that way.......there's always something that needs to be moved, divided, fertilized, mulched, changed or renewed! I've been gardening for thirty years and it probably took me twenty-five to realize that I will NEVER be done.......never! Just when I think I've finally got things arranged the way they should be..........why, I get an even better idea to try. I've finally come to see that gardening is a process......and not a destination.
    Happy gardening, soapy.......and let me know if you ever do get everything done. In that case..........you need to come over and show me HOW you did it! LOL

My tomatoes are about gone. Its been so dry and hot lately. We did have a good rain Thursday and Friday, but its a little late to save them. They were good while they lasted.

Its a little cooler today, nice breeze too. I'm looking forward to some cooler weather,
    not cold but just a little cooler.

Have a good day everyone,

Have a great day!
    CJ

My winter pansys look so good. Hope they make it thru winter like they did last year. I have to water cause we've had very little rain.

Pansys is all that I have in the winter garden.
    Have a great day!
    CJ