Thread: The Golden Compass

Post The Golden Compass

Has anyone read the trilogy by Philip Pullman called "His Dark Materials?" Hollywood has made a movie named "The Golden Compass" but I can't tell if it's based on the first book (GC) or all three. I watched a preview of the movie online last night. Nicole Kidman is the bad lady and Daniel Craig is Lord Asriel (sp?). The movie website is really cool, it made me a daemon based on 20 questions I answered. I'm all geeked out about this movie ... I even circled the day it's coming out (12/7/07) on my calendar.
    My so-called life...

Re: The Golden Compass

It looks to me like it's based on the first book only, with (hopeful) plans to do all three. I'm guessing the producers are waiting to see how it does, money-wise. If it's a hit, they'll do the rest. The author refers to it being the"first of" so... maybe 3 separate movies.
    Only an expert can deal with the problem

Red face Re: The Golden Compass

I hope it's only on the first book because to try to make one movie out of three books would be a crime (unless it was nine hours long). It would be like trying to make one movie out of three Harry Potter books.

I heard that initially they had cast Paul Bettany (he played Silas in the DaVinci Code and John Nash's imaginary red-headed friend in A Beautiful Mind, he is married to Jennifer Connoly - sp?) for Lord Asriel. But they wound up with Daniel Craig in the role. I was excited about Bettany in the role and was disappointed when they re-cast. But now that I've seen the trailer with Craig I am totally buying him in the role. I wish they would have left Kidman's hair red for the role instead of the bleach blonde. I think in the book Mrs. Coulter was brunette. So just like in The Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe, they are taking a brunette and making her blonde to give the "Ice Queen" effect. Or maybe I just need to get a life!
    My so-called life...

Re: The Golden Compass

I've read a lot of complaints about the Kidman casting. I'll never understand why someone with such a gorgeous natural color would do what she's done to her hair anyhow (beside the point, I know, but it just boggles). Also read that Daniel Craig is a big fan of the books and asked to be considered for the role, so that's kind of neat.
    Only an expert can deal with the problem

Post Re: The Golden Compass

I think ... from the brief trailer I saw ... that Kidman will be good. I just think she should have been a brunette. And you're right ... her hair is such beautiful shade to begin with - why mess with it?
    Last edited by sabine69; 5.30.07 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Get Notification
    My so-called life...