Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Huckabee wants to amend the constitution for God's standards!

Post Re: Huckabee wants to amend the constitution for God's standards!

Quote Originally Posted by MeganG View Post
    I wish I could say they were rare, and perhaps they are, but I was dealing with severe medical issues in a much wanted, planned pregancy at the same time a co-worker was, so it felt more common if you will. Luckily we had each other but it was unimaginable we were dealing with similar issues.
    I'm awfully sorry you had to go through such a heart-breaking experience, meganc.........I can't even imagine the pain.
    I totally agree that this should be a decision made by a woman and her doctor........with no interference from anyone else. And I wonder if these anti-choice people ever really consider the ramifications of what they want. From poverty to over-population to the heart-wrenching issues of abuse and neglect and foster care..........to what? Criminalizing women? Are they going to lock up women who still manage to abort? Because they will. No matter if Roe v. Wade is overturned....and every state in the nation outlaws abortion- it will still happen. And it gets "easier" all the time. In that chemical and very early (morning after pill) "abortions" are now even more popular.

Quote Originally Posted by jolau View Post
    Before the creation of our universe was the death of the previous universe. It's a cycle of life, death, and rebirth from the ashes of the death of what was. Just like everything else.

The rocket ship will continue on forever until it hits something. If it doesn't it might eventually find out that it's been going in circles. But that will take billions of years. And what you are talking about is a perpetual motion machine capable of lightspeed travel. And nothing in nature is perpetual. Maybe some day humans will eventually build some sort of faster than light engine, but still it will require fuel of some sort.

I thought Christians weren't supposed to believe in the supernatural. If God is natural and all things natural are attributed to him, then a "supernatural intelligent design" would be attributed to something that is not God. One could turn around and claim Satan is this responsible for this "supernatural intelligent design". Therefore, the theory and belief in "Intelligent Design" is inherently evil. To do so would be akin to Satan worship. Same would go in believeing in a Creation story that is not Genesis. You'd might as well be taking up witchcraft instead of perfecting your Christian belief.

How is it "simplistic" to say that animals such as Monarch Butterflies have some sort of programming in thier brains? Be it from personal experience, or the instinctual programming that Monarch Butterflies had had for the many generations of Monarch Butterflies that have been existing? All creatures (from plants and animals to the smallest bacteria) have four instincts and/or functions: finding a means of breathing, finding a means of eating, the ability survive long enough to reproduce, and the ability to finally reproduce.
    All non-living things are made in some fashion, exist for some period of time, and will eventually be destroyed. The matter resulting from that destruction can either be recycled or somehow go to waste.
    you are talking as if the realm in which we exist is finite.. you refuse to acknowledge that there is something beyond our realm...it has to be... what would be beyond this "wall" the rocket hits?... time is also not finite... you see, there is somthing out there jolau that is infinite and science can never be able to explain it..at least not humans... there is definitely something out there beyond human comprehension

Quote Originally Posted by reines View Post
    Cats..........that's one of the most brilliant and concise things you've ever posted- that really says it all- Bravo!

It proves nothing of the kind, Bigeasy- natural evolution doesnot necessarily have (or need) an "intelligence" guiding it! This has never been proven....or even indicated by any scientific study. Wanting it to be so does not make it so.
    Is it so hard to believe that life just progresses and evolves....and goes where it will.......with the most apparent "guiding force" being survival? Because THAT'S what scientific study concludes. I think it's terrifying for many people to grasp the concept that, yes, we are all just products of years of development and evolution....and no beneficial hand is looking out for us, protecting us, or guaranteeing that we thrive. We are the only species to have knowledge of our deaths- and that knowledge can be very frightening-right? I think religion is mostly a way to try to deal with this stressful reality.
    Oh- did you mean you don't know how to post other's words in a reply? You just click onto the "quote" at the bottom right of the box. If you want to quote more than one person- just click on "multi-quote" after each person's post- then "reply".
    thanks for the tech help.... my first and main point deals with time and space...they are infinite and the human mind can not comprehend that... when time began and the fact that a rocket going the speed of light never reaches the end....what that proves is that there is something out there beyond our comprehension.... to have all that happens here on earth, which in another dimension is the size of an electron, (ever thought about the similarities between an atom and our solar system?...nucleus (sun) and the electrons and protons rotating around it?)...whether it be the butterfly or all the billions of humans..each with an interesting story to tell of love, hate, joy, adventures, sadness then death..all of these things happening....on a tiny speck in another dimension...throw the infinite aspects of time and space and you just toss it out as "it just happens?"....I'm sorry but that is totally unrealistic... not from a religious standpoint even...to me it is logical common sense... not trying to point towards religions even...

Re: Huckabee wants to amend the constitution for God's standards!

I did mention "If it doesn't it might eventually find out that it's been going in circles. But that will take billions of years."
    Light itself is something that travels at lightspeed, and never stops until it hits something. That spark of light from whatever star or other phenomena from that long a distance will will have to reach us first in order for us to analyze it. And if it doesn't reach us, we might never find out.

We as humans have the ability and the technology to analyze and understand much of what goes on in our universe and within our own planet, and you simply aren't willing to accept that.
    Instead, you go side with the Bible thumpers that went along with "supernatural intelligent design". The same Bible thumpers that will probably betray you if someone suggested the one responsible for "supernatural intelligent design" is not the God Christians worship.

By the way, current theories about electrons is that they are shells surrounding the nucleus of the atom. The more electrons in a shell layer, the thicker the shell layer.
    The sun/planet diagram of an atom is used for simplicity.

The other things you mention are more in the realm of philosophy, not science.

Post Re: I contend that offering an intelligent design explanation

Quote Originally Posted by big easy View Post
    I don't understand how gays are so upset about not being able to re-define marriage.. companies offer domestic partnership recognition... why jam it down everybody's throat?..... no one is looking to put them in jail or anything
    Redefining marriage is really nothing new. 50 years +... ago one could be jailed or worse, for entering into marriage with someone who was not of their own race. Many states had laws against interracial marriage. Someone who married a black man or woman could be either hanged, jailed, run out of town or exiled by the state.

In the 50's, I kind of remember this...that there was a taboo about whites marrying Asians. It was not against the law, but came with it's own consequences of societal persecution.

Remember "I Love Lucy"? One of the most endearing comedies of all time? Before the show began Lucille Ball wanted her husband, Desi Arnez, to be her co-star. I "think" it was CBS who balked at the idea because they were afraid of the backlash of an audience who would never accept a white woman being married to an hispanic man. Lucy prevailed and said that was the only way she would agree to the contract. Lucy and Desi were hits for years, loved so much by the public that even a president delayed his State of the Union speech when the show had Lucy giving birth to Little Ricky.

Love has no bounds and why it's seems important for some to deny others happiness, marriage, a life together when it hurts no one else....I just don't get it.

Post Re: How silly!

Quote Originally Posted by Catstrack View Post
    Fact is though that the Consitution has been changed. Yes, it's not easy to do as you point out, but the Founding Fathers were only wise as to their own time. When they drafted the Constitution woman had no rights. Slavery was common place even in the Northern States.

What the Founding Fathers did do was to create a living Constitution that was NOT set in stone. It is a living document.

It does and has changed as the citizenship and their needs change. Some would have said a century ago that women should not have a right to vote. Some say now that some citizens have less rights than others as to who they select as a life-partner. Why are those afraid of change think it changes them? It doesn't.

As far as Huckabee. The present president has engaged his own doctrine beyond his office already. Increasing the powers of the office beyond what the Constitution allows. That's not a good thing and erodes the Constitution.
    It is true that the constitution can and has been amended and this is a good thing. There were some changes which were necessary, ending slavery, allowing women to vote and so forth. Passing those ammendments was a very big deal. The process can't be done on a whim.

http://www.usconstitution.net/constam.html
    It takes years to get through the congress and all the state legislatures. Many proposed ammendments don't make it through this lengthy process, Remember all the years the Equal Rights Amendment jumped around through all the state legislatures only to finaly die after something like twenty years? In the two hundred and nineteen years since it ratification the constitution has only been amended twenty seven times. The first ten amendments, the Bill of Rights, were ratified at the same time as the constitution itself so there were only seventeen other times that a proposed amendment actually managed to pass in over two centuries.

The constitution is very much a living document. The framers of it made sure of that. But thank goodness, that if someone with very extremist views did manage to get elected President he/she could not suddenly change our basic laws. If you look at the article of the constitution that deals with the amendment process you will see that the president does not have a part in it. So even if I don't agree with Huckabee's religous views I am not worried that he will make them part of the laws of our land.

Quote Originally Posted by jolau View Post
    I did mention "If it doesn't it might eventually find out that it's been going in circles. But that will take billions of years."
    Light itself is something that travels at lightspeed, and never stops until it hits something. That spark of light from whatever star or other phenomena from that long a distance will will have to reach us first in order for us to analyze it. And if it doesn't reach us, we might never find out.

We as humans have the ability and the technology to analyze and understand much of what goes on in our universe and within our own planet, and you simply aren't willing to accept that.
    Instead, you go side with the Bible thumpers that went along with "supernatural intelligent design". The same Bible thumpers that will probably betray you if someone suggested the one responsible for "supernatural intelligent design" is not the God Christians worship.

By the way, current theories about electrons is that they are shells surrounding the nucleus of the atom. The more electrons in a shell layer, the thicker the shell layer.
    The sun/planet diagram of an atom is used for simplicity.

The other things you mention are more in the realm of philosophy, not science.
    circles don't explain what is beyond the circle... I never said we don't have the ability to analyze our universe and I look forward as we continue to explore and gain scientific info about it... there are no beginnings to time and there is no end to distance and space..not in the realm of human comprehension..hence there is something out there beyond our wildest imagination and our brain could not even have it explained to it... when you look at the earth and that lives and breathes since the beginning of its creation, to not believe in intelligent design means you also are of the belief that eventually a monkey at a keyboard eventually types out a novel.... scientists who don't won't to admit to intelligent design are just as ignorant as theologians who scoff at scientific fact....

Re: Huckabee wants to amend the constitution for God's standards!

And yet you continue to side with the theologians who will betray you at thier first opportunity.

And no, I don't think a monkey at a keyboard will eventually type out a novel on his own.