Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Huckabee wants to amend the constitution for God's standards!

Post Re: Huckabee wants to amend the constitution for God's standards!

health of the mother...like the woman in the supreme court case whose MENTAL health was the problem?...not being able to deal with child birth?..

I realize there are other dire instances where true physical situations arise..but based on what I've read, those are very rare... I would save my wife's life in a heart beat on the issue but knowing her, she'd be bull headed and go thru with the delivery...

I'd be willing to bet 99% of abortions are for convenience and I define that as genocide... God Bless the other 1%..I'd hate to have to make that decision...sorry you've had to deal with it...

Post Re: How silly!

Quote Originally Posted by justkathy View Post
    The constitution is not something that can be changed as easily as changing your underwear. The founding fathers were very intelligent; they had enough foresight to understand that years down the road there might be need to change the constitution so made provisions i for amending it. But they were cautious enough to make it difficult so that the framework of our country could not be changed on any little whim. And it's worked. In over two hundered years the constitution has only been amended twenty eight times. If you look at the article in the constitution dealing with amendments http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitut...clev.htmlments:
    you'll see that the Presidnet is never even mentioned. It takes both houses of congress and/or or the legislature of the states but the President is not involved. So if Huckleberry hound finds his way to 1600 Pensylvania Avenue we don't have to worry.
    Every now and then we get some goofball wanting to make his own personal views part of the constitution, anti-flag burning amendmends, or anti-gay mariage amendments or whatever. To me this trivializes what the constition is meant to be. First of all it is a basic framework of how our government is set up and secondly and maybe more important it limits the powers of the government. It tells us what the government can't do to us citizens. It is not supposed to be a guideline for the moral behavior of the citizenry.
    Fact is though that the Consitution has been changed. Yes, it's not easy to do as you point out, but the Founding Fathers were only wise as to their own time. When they drafted the Constitution woman had no rights. Slavery was common place even in the Northern States.

What the Founding Fathers did do was to create a living Constitution that was NOT set in stone. It is a living document.

It does and has changed as the citizenship and their needs change. Some would have said a century ago that women should not have a right to vote. Some say now that some citizens have less rights than others as to who they select as a life-partner. Why are those afraid of change think it changes them? It doesn't.

As far as Huckabee. The present president has engaged his own doctrine beyond his office already. Increasing the powers of the office beyond what the Constitution allows. That's not a good thing and erodes the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by big easy View Post
    health of the mother...like the woman in the supreme court case whose MENTAL health was the problem?...not being able to deal with child birth?..

I realize there are other dire instances where true physical situations arise..but based on what I've read, those are very rare... I would save my wife's life in a heart beat on the issue but knowing her, she'd be bull headed and go thru with the delivery...

I'd be willing to bet 99% of abortions are for convenience and I define that as genocide... God Bless the other 1%..I'd hate to have to make that decision...sorry you've had to deal with it...
    I would hate to have made that decision, too....but I also think it's a real shame that in this society that hundreds of thousands of BORN children live in agencies or foster care without ever being adopted. There's a lot of lip service that some apply to this problem. Lots of people are against abortion, but the fact is that if adoption was easier, the cost less, there might be more people willing to take in these children and ALSO more incentive for mothers who abort healthy children. In some cases it's easier (not always cheaper) to adopt children from other countries.

That saying, NO ONE knows what the circumstances are for any woman who chooses abortion. NO ONE unless is in that situation can be the judge and jury. It's not a procedure that most take lightly and few ever just forget it and go on like it never happened. It's a lifelong decision that haunts many, so it's not up to us to decide if it was the right thing for them.

Too many variables.

Post Re: I contend that offering an intelligent design explanation

is based on science and ignoring it is ignorant..

when did time begin?... a rocket travelling at the speed of light..how far can it go? how can something be created from nothing? at some time, there had to be nothing ..right?

I find it interesting that we can discuss the amazement of someone in 1900 seeing an automobile for the first time... I'm sure one of the first thoughts must have been how intelligent someone must be to have designed and built it.. yet things much more amazing right before our very own eyes for millions of years have been going on and many of us just write them off as "it's just here and that's the way it is"...monarch butterflies emerging from a cacoon in south america...not even having a brain the way science defines brains and made up of something similar to toilet tissue...flies to canada and back.... call me stupid but to me that is much more amazing than a car... and it takes place on a planet that is the same size as an electron in another dimension... and we want to just talk about the big bang and evolution and close the book?...how ignorant an UN-scientific...

I don't understand how gays are so upset about not being able to re-define marriage.. companies offer domestic partnership recognition... why jam it down everybody's throat?..... no one is looking to put them in jail or anything..

I'm all for ending abortion... the genocide has to stop..
    You talk about the liberals going with the Big Bang and Evolution and then closing the book? Huckabee and his kind have closed the book on Genesis Creationism centuries ago. Long before the Evolutionists did.
    Do you think that Huckabee's kind will go along with a Creationist story that ISN'T Genesis? No, they won't accept the Hindu creationist story, the Ancient Egyptian one, or the Chinese one. They will betray Intelligent Design if they had the chance too.

Monarch Butterflies do what they do because they have been doing that for millenia. It's called natural selection and survival of the fittest. The instinctual flight or fight scenario if you will. Monarch Butterflies make that long journey because they are better able to survive in Canada better during the our summer than in South America where it is winter, and vice-versa. Many animals survive on instinct and what they've known from what they have experienced regardless of the size of thier brains or even the fragility of thier own bodies.

Time began at the creation of the universe. Both Creationism and Evolution should agree on that one.

A rocket ship (I don't think we should call them "rockets" since the technology required probably will make such a vehicle look nothing like a rocket) travelling at the speed of light will travel as far as it's fuel and engines allow it to travel at the speed of light.

Can something be created from nothing? Probably not. But atoms and molecules can be rearranged in infinite combinations with the many atomic and molecular reactions. Carbon for example is a very versatile substance. Diamonds are a very dense form of carbon, as is graphite. It's the base element of all living creatures and many of the things we use on a regular basis. Plastics are very heavy in carbon. Oil too.
    Pure aluminum is a very flimsy material. But add in specific amounts of nickel and copper, it's strong enough to build many of the airliners we fly on a regular basis.
    Ditto with iron. Add specific amounts of carbon, nickel, copper and other materials, and Iron becomes steel, and there are many forms of steel too.
    Some of these processes take intense nuclear reactions, such as the fusion reactions going on within our own sun. Some take place in nuclear reactors, but even then some of these reactions take place in nature, although some of these reactions would take place alot more slowly than they would in the human-made reactior.

The Big Bang was the result of all the matter from the death of the previous universe being compacted into a single blob of superimpacted matter that was held together by intense gravity. But being so dense and so heavy, the blob's gravity, how intense it may be, was too weak to keep its form. Therefore the blob exploded and released all the matter inside, birthing what is now our universe.

And to follow up on what Catstrack said, what of biological parents that are unfit to be parents, but actually keep thier kids? People like Britney Spears for example? Where these children end up in broken homes where they are subject to neglect and abuse?
    Why does Maury Povich have "Who's my Baby's Daddy" episodes? Obviously these women who appear (especially the repeat guests for this topic) can't make it as single moms. Therefore, they have to resort to extorting money out of their child's father, whomever that may be.

Re: Huckabee wants to amend the constitution for God's standards!

I wish I could say they were rare, and perhaps they are, but I was dealing with severe medical issues in a much wanted, planned pregancy at the same time a co-worker was, so it felt more common if you will. Luckily we had each other but it was unimaginable we were dealing with similar issues.

I'm not a fan of abortion as a means of birthcontrol, being adopted myself, but as Cats said below, to many variables and that decision should be made up by the woman facing it. I wish we could make it easier for adoption in this country. That would be fantastic. I just feel the more positive emphasis we put on finding alternatives, abortion will decline on its own without having to try and imagine all the scenarios.

Post hey Jolau

here's some of your post: (sorry I have not figured out how yall do that fancy stuff yet)

Time began at the creation of the universe. Both Creationism and Evolution should agree on that one.

A rocket ship (I don't think we should call them "rockets" since the technology required probably will make such a vehicle look nothing like a rocket) travelling at the speed of light will travel as far as it's fuel and engines allow it to travel at the speed of light.

Can something be created from nothing? Probably not.

what about before the creation of the universe?...there was no time?...you really think you have that figured out?..doesn't sound like it to me.... that is a shallow statement... you must realize that our brains can not fatham it...

regarding the rockets... another shallow comment.. a rocket with an endless supply of energy and engines never finds the end my friend... another concept beyond human comprehension....

you got the something from nothing part right... all of this proves that there is something out there so beyond what we can even imagine... science comes from human study.. our existence is beyond human study or science... it is a super natural intelligent design....

I dont' see how you can describe monarch butterflies in such simplistic sentences... all that happening on a planet the size of an electron (when viewed from anothe dimension)... it is just too great to be written off that fast in my opinion

Re: Huckabee wants to amend the constitution for God's standards!

Before the creation of our universe was the death of the previous universe. It's a cycle of life, death, and rebirth from the ashes of the death of what was. Just like everything else.

The rocket ship will continue on forever until it hits something. If it doesn't it might eventually find out that it's been going in circles. But that will take billions of years. And what you are talking about is a perpetual motion machine capable of lightspeed travel. And nothing in nature is perpetual. Maybe some day humans will eventually build some sort of faster than light engine, but still it will require fuel of some sort.

I thought Christians weren't supposed to believe in the supernatural. If God is natural and all things natural are attributed to him, then a "supernatural intelligent design" would be attributed to something that is not God. One could turn around and claim Satan is this responsible for this "supernatural intelligent design". Therefore, the theory and belief in "Intelligent Design" is inherently evil. To do so would be akin to Satan worship. Same would go in believeing in a Creation story that is not Genesis. You'd might as well be taking up witchcraft instead of perfecting your Christian belief.

How is it "simplistic" to say that animals such as Monarch Butterflies have some sort of programming in thier brains? Be it from personal experience, or the instinctual programming that Monarch Butterflies had had for the many generations of Monarch Butterflies that have been existing? All creatures (from plants and animals to the smallest bacteria) have four instincts and/or functions: finding a means of breathing, finding a means of eating, the ability survive long enough to reproduce, and the ability to finally reproduce.
    All non-living things are made in some fashion, exist for some period of time, and will eventually be destroyed. The matter resulting from that destruction can either be recycled or somehow go to waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Catstrack View Post

Why are those afraid of change think it changes them? It doesn't.
    Cats..........that's one of the most brilliant and concise things you've ever posted- that really says it all- Bravo!

here's some of your post: (sorry I have not figured out how yall do that fancy stuff yet)

all of this proves that there is something out there so beyond what we can even imagine... science comes from human study.. our existence is beyond human study or science... it is a super natural intelligent design....
    It proves nothing of the kind, Bigeasy- natural evolution doesnot necessarily have (or need) an "intelligence" guiding it! This has never been proven....or even indicated by any scientific study. Wanting it to be so does not make it so.
    Is it so hard to believe that life just progresses and evolves....and goes where it will.......with the most apparent "guiding force" being survival? Because THAT'S what scientific study concludes. I think it's terrifying for many people to grasp the concept that, yes, we are all just products of years of development and evolution....and no beneficial hand is looking out for us, protecting us, or guaranteeing that we thrive. We are the only species to have knowledge of our deaths- and that knowledge can be very frightening-right? I think religion is mostly a way to try to deal with this stressful reality.
    Oh- did you mean you don't know how to post other's words in a reply? You just click onto the "quote" at the bottom right of the box. If you want to quote more than one person- just click on "multi-quote" after each person's post- then "reply".