Thread: GOP running scared

Post GOP running scared

Michigan GOP leader wants Paul barred from future debates
    5/16/2007, 7:07 p.m. ET
    By JIM DAVENPORT
    The Associated Press

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) The chairman of the Michigan Republican Party said Wednesday that he will try to bar Ron Paul from future GOP presidential debates because of remarks the Texas congressman made that suggested the Sept. 11 attacks were the fault of U.S. foreign policy.

Michigan party chairman Saul Anuzis said he will circulate a petition among Republican National Committee members to ban Paul from more debates. At a GOP candidates' debate Tuesday night, Paul drew attacks from all sides, most forcefully from former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, when he linked the terror attacks to U.S. bombings.

"Have you ever read about the reasons they attacked us? They attack us because we've been over there. We've been bombing Iraq for 10 years," Paul said.

Anuzis called the comments "off the wall and out of whack."

"I think he would have felt much more comfortable on the stage with the Democrats in what he said last night. And I think that he is a distraction in the Republican primary and he does not represent the base and he does not represent the party," Anuzis said during an RNC state leadership meeting.

"Given what he said last night it was just so off the wall and out of whack that I think it was more detrimental than helpful."

Anuzis said his petition would go to debate sponsors and broadcasters to discourage inviting Paul.

Jesse Benton, Paul's campaign spokesman, said the candidate "is supporting the traditional GOP foreign policy. I think it's a shame when people try to silence the traditional conservative Republican standpoint."

After the debate Tuesday, Paul said he didn't' expect his remarks to end his campaign.

"The last time I got a message out about my position on the war it boosted us up by tens of thousands and I didn't change my position," Paul said. "I think the American people are sick and tired of this war and want it ended."

reines: This is so pathetic- the GOP runs from virtually the only candidate they've got who's speaking the truth......and isn't afraid to confront the issue. I wonder why the GOP feels the need to stifle Paul? Because they need to have the propaganda of 9/11 inexorably tied up with their imaginary "lock" on our country's defense.......even though the past seven years of Republican rule have only made us much more at risk in the world.
    Guiliani and all the rest are still trying to use fear....and only fear, as a bludgeon over our country's emotions. Paul is valiantly trying to get us to look at reality...in the knowledge that we can't really protect ourselves until we know why we're being attacked.

Re: GOP running scared

That is so typical! Wouldn't want anyone in the GOP to have an original thought that isn't one of the "talking points" the Bush administration puts out.

Re: GOP running scared

If the current crop of Republicans were around in 1776, we'd still be singing, "God save the King/Queen." "We need to support King George and anyone who says otherwise is a traitor and be put in jail." They would be Loyalist Tories, every one of them.

These people have no concept of what it means to be an American. They are pure authoritarian dominionists. Don't show them the truth, they know what they know.

Post who on the Dem ticket has said we were to blame?

personally, I agree with the fact that we were attacked not because of who we are but due to what we do.... support of the tactitcs used by Israel.. the exodus of the 750k palistinians in '48 and the continued occupying of the West Bank....

But I don't see any Dems on the prez ticket being so bold as to saying these things and if they did, I'm sure they would be rebutted by the Dems as well..