Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Las Vegas Music Festival Shooting

Re: Las Vegas Music Festival Shooting

I agree MTJ. Nobody in their right mind would drive an airplane into a building, or blow themselves up, just to get a message across.

On the other hand, we seem to have a states of mind (either in groups or among certain individuals) that thinks it's acceptable to use violence to resolve problems.

I also think that kamikaze/suicide tactics are a sign of people fighting a losing battle. They believe their lives are forfeit and think their sacrifice will somehow turn the tide in their favor.

Sadly, as long as people continue to view tragedies like this in terms of liberals vs. conservatives,
    we will remain a polarized society who does little to address its more pressing problems.

How do you expect us to address this problem with Conservatives when Liberals have to deal with this on a regular basis whenever there is a shooting? (I found this on Facebook)

Dear Despotic Democrats...the weapons Stephen Paddock used are already banned. Like the failed policies of Chicago, your gun control narrative is false, futile and ignorant. History has proven excessive regulation merely leaves law-abiding citizens defenseless because criminals - oppressive regimes included - will always obtain firearms or any other other weapon necessary to unleash their hate. You cannot stop mass shootings anymore than a government can legislate evil...i.e., human nature. The question isn't why are guns legal; the question is why are so many people now comfortable ending a human life? A crisis of culture, an erosion of our most basic values and a glaring lack of respect for our fellow man, cannot be abridged by any law or solved by any soulless politician seeking to exploit a tragedy in the name of a lie. The Windy City boasts some of the strictest gun control measures in America and in a matter of several months routinely exceeds the total number of people who were killed and injured in Las Vegas last night - the single, greatest mass shooting in American history. Instilling morals in our youth and demanding accountability from all individuals is not a matter for partisan debate, but a prerequisite for ensuring the survival of any civilized society. Progressiveism no more mourns the victims of violence than it values a free, prosperous and independent populace capable of defending itself against all forms of tyranny; most notably, a corrupt media, liberal fascists and numerous other anti-American hate groups.

Copied from Xavier Keough
    It's all there. Crime in Chicago, telling us we need to instill morality and responsibility (I'm surprised GOD isn't mentioned), claiming how an unarmed people are helpless against criminals and oppressive regimes, etc.

Conservatives have a habit of portraying liberals as immoral, enablers of crime, and despotic. They call themselves people of responsibility and discipline, and yet violence seems to be the answer to a lot of their problems. Be it how to discipline your children and dealing with the schoolyard bully, to the tensions with North Korea.

Now a liberal response...... (Again, found on Facebook)

I don't want to hear any pro gun bull shit about "criminals will always find a way" And "A good guy with a gun could have stopped it" Let me just remind you, even the most expertly trained snipers in our Military would not have an easy time taking out a point target in a window, 500 meters distant and 100 meters elevated, in the dark. And there WERE police there, who are trained at using their 9mm Glocks, who were totally useless, to the point of becoming victims themselves. WE need to stop this NOW. Too many American lives have been sacrificed at the altar of the Second Amendment, which was NEVER intended to make wholesale slaughter an American way of life. None of you needs an automatic rifle. If you're properly trained, you'll only need one bullet to take out an intruder. You don't need to turn him into hamburger. Fully automatic weapons are NOT easily controlled. Anyone who has fired one can tell you that..

It seems obvious that some people are only able to view a tragedy such as this through political eyes.

You don't seem to be coming up with any solutions either.

I *think* that gun control becomes a political issue after one of these horrific events because:
    -- gun control has been made a political issue by the NRA-based lobby,
    -- and artificially made into a so-called "2nd Amendment" issue, when it, in fact, is not,
    -- because the NRA-lobby funds so many congressional campaigns, and
    -- the NRA-lobby won't allow gun control to come up for discussion at any other time, and
    -- after these shooting events happens, the NRA-lobby and their sponsored congresspersons and senators trot out:
    -- "this is not the appropriate time to discuss gun control"
    -- "mental healthcare is a problem in the US" (but in two weeks it won't be, because "Obamacare")
    -- "guns don't kill people; people kill people" (just like cars and atomic bombs, which require no licensing or treaties).

If the NRA lobby (a purely political entity, that exists solely for political purposes) would be quiet and allow common sense to prevail, then it would not be a political issue.