Thread: General Michael Hayden Pens Editorial - standing up for free speech

General Michael Hayden Pens Editorial - standing up for free speech

Four-star General Michael Hayden, former Director of the CIA, has written a blistering editorial defending the rights of NFL players to "take a knee" during the national anthem at games.

He talks of his love of Steelers' football, until, he says, "the ugly side of American politics intruded into my fall eden. I blame some of that on Colin Kaepernick, the former San Francisco 49ers quarterback who last year began to protest social injustice and police brutality by sitting or taking a knee during the pre-game national anthem. His comments on America were a bit more dystopian than I thought was warranted, and I wasn’t enthusiastic about turning a unifying and celebratory moment for most Americans into a venue for protest.

Still, this is a big country with a big heart and the issues he raised were both real and sincerely held. It didn't take much to just let this ride, even after some other NFL players joined in. Everything seemed to be within the tolerances of normal American political discourse and, certainly, American free speech.

Until last Friday. And then President Trump, before a red-hot Alabama crowd of his political base, decided to treat the “SOBs” who wouldn't stand for the anthem the way he has previously treated other groups like Mexicans (murderers and rapists), intelligence professionals (Nazis), immigrants (deeply unfair), refugees (dangerous), and Muslims (they hate us).
    "

Read the rest of it at "The Hill" website.

Re: General Michael Hayden Pens Editorial - standing up for free speech

As the post said, "So taking a knee is disrespecting our veterans, but letting our veterans be homeless and without healthcare isn't.

We have a bloated military budget, and none of that money goes to the needs of these veterans. I would also think that the portion of Trump's base that waves the flags of our defeated enemies and trying to preserve statues of the generals of one of those enemies would also be disrespectful.