Thread: Top Of The Lake

Top Of The Lake

While watching the Emmy awards a few years ago, I heard several mentions of the mini-series "Top Of The Lake".
    It was nominated in several categories and it stars Elizabeth Moss and Holly Hunter.
    I usually like both of those actresses, so I thought I would give it a try.
    What a mistake.

The writing was terrible.
    Campion is a one-note author, continually bemoaning the beastly way men treat women.
    There were only a few noteworthy performances, and lets face it, an actor is only as good as the material he or she has to work with.
    Holly Hunter was horrible in it, and I have never considered a performance of hers horrible.
    I'm not sure anyone could have pulled off portraying such an oddball character.
    Has anyone else seen this? If so, what did you think?

Re: Top Of The Lake

It's been awhile, but I think that we actually enjoyed it. I do remember that it was dark, and full of unusual characters, but I think that's probably part of what we enjoyed. Just a different take on it.

The whole concept of that little commune at the lake was pretty extreme -- but so was the whole place. Whoa. The backwoods gangster family was similar to other stories that are based in the US. Like in "Justify" or "Outsiders". Extra gross in "Top of the Lake".

Re: Top Of The Lake

We just finished another strange one from the Southern Hemisphere; "The Kettering Incident". This one is Tasmania. Not as strange in terms of characters, but something about murders and the end of humanity on Earth. No biggie. I think I'd give it a 3 out of 5. Don't know if Annie feels the same.