Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Five For Friday - Prime Time

Five For Friday - Prime Time

1. Do you own an entire series of any television show?

2. Who is your favorite TV family?

3. What are three of your favorite TV shows?

4. What is a show you watched regularly and then gave up on?
    Why did you quit watching?

5. Are there any new Fall shows being talked about that sound interesting
    to you?

Weekend plans?

Re: Five For Friday - Prime Time

Almost. Most of the original "Perry Mason" is loaded onto a server in our house and can be watched from any TV.

Ugh; that's tough! I kept focusing on one family member; so would have to think and then pass on some like "The Donna Reed Show" or such like that. Briefly thought about the "Ozzie and Harriet" Nelson's, but have firmly decided on the Jennings family in "The Americans". There's so much deep trust and love in the foundation of that family, and the stories.

Currently???
    "The Americans"
    "Better Call Saul"
    "Master of None"
    (EDIT: Annie says, correctly, that "Fargo" should probably go above "Master of None" but she agrees that MoN is sweet and genius.)

There's a long list of others that could have made #3 or better: "Orphan Black," "Silicon Valley," "Veep," "House of Cards," "Dear White People," "OITNB," "Kimmy Schmidt," "Last Week Tonight," "Modern Family," and a bunch more.

GREAT question! There have been a few of these, and the reason for stopping is almost always that the writers started phoning it in. The long arc plot gets lost or even erased, and the episode plots get flimsy and repetitive and loaded with superfluous exposition, explaining or repeating things already covered and recovered.
    "Grey's Anatomy" is one of those for me, but there's a long list. "Lost" was another. I quit "Grey's" because it got it's feet stuck in muddy soap and couldn't climb out. "Lost" lost me because the writers lost track of the long arc and started winging it to stretch seasons. Boo. An honorable end is much better than endless weak gotcha's.
    There's so much great TV these days, that there's just no reason to bother with a show that stumbles along with no respect for the audience.

to you?

Oh, golly. Already? Not yet for me, but Annie probably has her eye on some.

Weekend plans?
    Finishing our binge of "House of Cards" season 5.

I used to have "Little House on the Prairie" and "I Love Lucy" on VHS. I don't own any shows digitally or on DVD.

The Ingalls. "Little House" is still one of my favorite shows to watch.

"This Is Us," "Chicago Fire," and "Blue Bloods."

"How To Get Away With Murder." It was just too dark for me.

to you?
    I haven't really paid attention to anything new yet.

Weekend plans? I'm going to spend the day with friends tomorrow. And since the weather is going to be cooler, I want to clear our some weeds and old plants in my front flower beds and plant some new ones. We'll see how far I get on that one.

LOST, Fringe, Parenthood, Breaking Bad and The West Wing.

The Girardis on "Joan of Aracadia".

This Is Us, How To Get Away With Murder and Scandal.

There are several. Designated Survivor because I was bored with all the foreign country story lines. The Blacklist because I lost track of the story lines. Sleepy Hollow because the writing tanked.

to you?

I haven't heard about any yet.

Weekend plans?

My son has orientation for his summer work at a summer camp so I am ferrying him around to different meetings. I might squeeze in some outside time before it gets too hot.

MTJ: ITA on your three dropped series. We dropped those as well. For me, in all three cases, because the writing, as you say, tanked. "Blacklist" just went haywire and basically turned into a soap with attempted crime/spy intrigue, and "Designated Survivor" was actually a rewriting of a "Jack Ryan" story ("Debt of Honor") but without the thrills of Tom Clancy writing and hindered by Kiefer Sutherland's ACTING. (Kiefer can be very good, but he requires a strong director to keep him in check. [Mike quickly glances sideways to indicate intensity!]) We really wanted to like "Sleepy Hollow", but it turned out to be written for a YA audience.

I took a look at some articles about new fall shows.

For Kris, and any other Parenthood fans, Mae Whitman is getting a show on NBC. Sadly, it looks like a flop. "Good Girls" is about desperate single mothers who turn to a life of crime to help support their financial needs.

Someone is borrowing heavily from "Joan of Arcadia". ABC will be airing "The Gospel of Kevin". This show stars Jason Ritter (who played Kevin on "Joan of Arcadia") as Kevin, a not so nice guy whose life is turned around by an angel.

For those of you who loved Alan Cumming as Eli Gold on "The Good Wife", he is getting a show called "Instinct" on CBS. A former CIA agent who has since built a "normal" life as a professor and writer is pulled back into his old life when the NYPD needs his help to stop a serial killer. Based on an upcoming James Patterson novel.

Are we in a new era where crime will pay? "Good Girls" might work.

Hadn't heard of the one with Alan Cumming. Oh boy! Always enjoy his work -- though not always the characters themselves. Eli was gold, though. (Pun intended.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Are we in a new era where crime will pay? "Good Girls" might work.
    It is really time for the political comments to stay on the Politics forum.
    It has already alienated one person who was a regular poster here.