Thread: Is it not possible to be BOTH Pro-Choice AND Pro-Life?

Is it not possible to be BOTH Pro-Choice AND Pro-Life?

Being pro-choice does not require being pro-abortion, and being pro-life does not require being against freedom of choice for women, or even against availability of safe abortions.

It seems to me that to be "against abortion" is akin to being against being human. Abortion is ancient and primal among humans and other animals. If a woman needs an abortion, for whatever her reason, she should be able to find a certifiably safe way to get it.

Re: Is it not possible to be BOTH Pro-Choice AND Pro-Life?

Your logic takes the fact that some people consider all life sacred, even before it is born, out of the equation.
    While I agree with you that women should have the choice to decide what happens within their own bodies, there are people who
    firmly believe that abortion is akin to murder.
    Hence, the big debate between pro-life and pro-abortion.

The thing about this issue that I don't understand is that women who have had abortions, and then get pregnant with a baby that they want,
    act as if that baby that they want is alive and important all during the nine months of their pregnancy.

How do you decide that one baby is "disposable" and then another baby is your joy from the moment of conception?

Quote Originally Posted by mtj View Post
    How do you decide that one baby is "disposable" and then another baby is your joy from the moment of conception?
    I think that "disposable" may be a loaded word. It weighs heavily in trying to respond to your question. Would "unbearable" work?

As, perhaps, how is it that news of pregnancy is a joy to one, but unbearable to another? Is that the same question?

Use whatever word you want to Mike.
    All I was trying to say is that the people who are pro-life believe that the baby in question does not deserve to be terminated.
    Not because of rape, not because of incest, not because it was the result of sex that meant nothing to the mother.
    The people who are pro-life believe that the baby in question has a "right to life".

If you don't believe that, that is fine and I am not taking that into question.
    I was responding to your original post.

I've always believed that abortion is one of the possible consequences of irresponsible sexual behavior. Not only should one not have an abortion if they are pro-life, but one should also not put someone else in a position where they might consider an abortion.

I also believe it's more disgusting what live human beings do to each other, some of it from the moment they are born, than any abortion.

Some also argue that if it weren't for abortion, we would have cured cancer or AIDS by now.
    But......
    Do we have an education system, respect for science, social services, etc. that would allow someone to actually get to the point where they could develop all this wonderful ness and at the same time not be a burden to society?
    Also, how come there are no arguments saying our world was saved from anyone from the Tsarnaev Bros to the next Hitler because of abortion?