Thread: Day Without A Woman Day

Day Without A Woman Day

Oh the irony. The only reason I knew about yesterday being "Day Without A Woman Day" is because I was home sick with a stomach bug.
    While reading about it, I found a form letter that women were supposed to fill out and submit to their employer, requesting a paid day off for participating in Day Without A Woman rallies or marches.

Let me tell you how fast I would have been laughed out of my boss's office if I tried something like that.
    And I work for a woman-owned company.
    (But that is in name only and the real head honcho is her husband.)

I don't know who is wearing the rose-colored glasses, but most employers are not into handing out paid days off for "worthy" causes.

Re: Day Without A Woman Day

It wasn't about a day off; it was a strike to make a statement.

And the statement got some traction.

In France there was a women's strike at 3:40 in the afternoon -- symbolically when women stop earning as compared to men in the same jobs.

And, while I'm fine with it here, let's just note that if I had posted it on The Pier, there'd be some 'splainin' to do.

Nothing sends a good message to children like skipping work. Sometimes I am embarrassed to be a woman. A lot of working moms were very pissed off about this because not everyone can just walk away for a day and then being scolded by other women. I'm telling you, nothing is bringing down women today like other women! Get over yourselves. Go to work. Katharine Hepburn said it best when asked why she never had children. She said, raising children is a full time job and she couldn't do both (act and mother). Makes sense to me.
    Agent99

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

And, while I'm fine with it here, let's just note that if I had posted it on The Pier, there'd be some 'splainin' to do.
    It's kinda like when they say "All Lives Matter", they should be saying something like "Stop Bothering Us Normal People With Your Problems."
    Last edited by jolau; 3.9.17 at 8:42 PM.

No one expected that every woman must skip work and come out for this day, but that those who felt they could contribute, then it's no skin off anyone's else nose if they did.

There is nothing gained by silence.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    My post was not so much about the march, as it was about the fact that most employers are not willing to hand out a paid day off so someone (male or female) can go out and support causes that they support.
    Last edited by mtj; 3.10.17 at 6:30 AM.

Let's face it. This was not a march for women. It was a march against the president. Period.
    Agent99

Well, the march in January was definitely a march against Trump.
    The march on Wednesday was more about equality for women in the work place.
    At least on Wednesday, the women did not degrade their gender and their cause by wearing "pussy hats".