Thread: R.I.P. Common Sense

R.I.P. Common Sense

There is a story floating around the internet about a man in a Dominican nightclub who won a bet for chugging a bottle of tequila and then died instantly.

We live in an age where we are bombarded with news and warnings about one thing or another.
    There have been countless stories about people (mostly teens) who die of alcohol poisoning, due to drinking mass quantities of alcohol at once.
    This man was an adult, who had just become a father.
    Why would he risk his life for a bet?
    Was he that ignorant of the consequences, or did he just think "it can't happen to me".

Sad story.

Re: R.I.P. Common Sense

There are so many of these stupid acts. Remember the cinnamon challenge? Or the woman who overdosed on water and died after a radio station challenge? I think a lot of people just don't think it can happen to them. What a stupid way to die.
    Agent99

I think that people are under the misguided notion that you'll gradually feel sick as you drink -- not taking into the account that the alcohol content of what you're drinking doesn't necessarily match the volume of what you're drinking. People drinking beer or wine would likely find they'd have a hard time drinking that much. This is probably the result of inexperience drinking liquor, as well as the public nature of the bet. A lot of people, once they've agreed to something, may not back down at least in part to peer pressure. There are expectations, and there's likely the belief that there's "safety" in a group of observers. I think that there's a level of rationalizing away the danger: if this were bad for me, surely somebody would speak up and give me an 'out.' And then, of course, the allure of the prize clouding judgment.

Even I have to say I'm surprised to see that he passed out so quickly -- but of course, I'm thinking of all the cases of alcohol poisoning where someone drinks heavily throughout the course of a night. Not heavily in a matter of seconds.

Every college student should read this!
    Agent99