Thread: "How the Anti-Vaxxers Are Winning" -- editorial at NY Times

"How the Anti-Vaxxers Are Winning" -- editorial at NY Times

"Itís looking as if 2017 could become the year when the anti-vaccination movement gains ascendancy in the United States and we begin to see a reversal of several decades in steady public health gains. The first blow will be measles outbreaks in America."

Personally, it infuriates me that the anti-vaxxers get any traction at all. It is just bizarre that they are refusing the science and putting us all at risk with their mystical fanaticism.

https://nyti.ms/2kMCEQP

Re: "How the Anti-Vaxxers Are Winning" -- editorial at NY Times

Dr. Trump, with all his scientific background, has for some time repeated the well debunked falsehoods about many vaccinations. With the appointment of an anti-vaccine believer, Kennedy, to head up an investigative committee ....expect things to get worse.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/10/u...nizations.html

Unfortunately, it seems like you're right. They will get worse before they have a chance to turn toward better.

I still think that the Libertarian/Conservative movement has artificially created "minorities" from sub-sections of their own constituents (the other example being homeschoolers) in order to make the case that these people deserve similar rights as traditional minorities.

This of course weakens the Conservative argument that homosexuality or transgenderism are a "lifestyle choices" and not a people worthy of the type of protections usually given to traditional minorities. Anti-Vaxxing and Homeschooling are clearly lifestyle choices, while homosexuality or transgenderism are not.

Agreed on the homosexuality/transgender issue being not choices, but a matter of nature. As to the movement of anti-vaxxing my opinion has always been it's one's right to choose whether to vaccinate kids or not, but if that's the choice not to, then homeschool their kids and don't expect the schools to make exceptions.....

BUT now, it's not clear as to what the new administration might mandate since they have already tapped Devos (whose never supported public schools or their guidelines) and what changes are in the wings. It's a scary time for public education and for parents.

Especially where entry into college and jobs are concerned. You might have the smartest homeschooled kids in the world, but they are going to have nothing to show for it (particularly if they eschew the GEDs in the process). Many of them blame the government for the reason why they were "forced" to homeschool, but when their kids are ill-prepared for adulthood, what happens then? They blame the government for their own lifestyle choices? I predict that these people (parents and children) will be as spoiled with an entitlement mentality worse than those who have been getting participation awards while they were going through regular public school.

But yes, I would say that countering the anti-vaxxer/homeschooler argument with homosexuality/transgenderism should be something to question those conservatives that wish to grant anti-vaxxers/homeschoolers rights (based on a lifestyle choice), but not homosexuals/transgenders rights based on the belief that the latter is a lifestyle choice. They might give you the religious argument, but my counter would be that these people would have to completely separate themselves from the main religion in order to be considered a traditional minority, which also means they can no longer call themselves Christians (assuming they are Christian of some form or another)