Thread: smartphone and tablet as credit card machines?

Hybrid View

smartphone and tablet as credit card machines?

So i heard that you can use your smartphone and tablet as credit card machines, is this true? I've read somewhere that you just need a card reader and an app and you are good to go. This would be very helpful specially to businesses, it means you could accept payments anywhere you are. Isn't that neat?

Re: smartphone and tablet as credit card machines?

Yes that is true and the advantages of using this kind of system is undeniable, aside from coolness lol it provides faster transactions, it has inventory tracking features and it is more secured.

I use the "Square" reader with my phone. Fast and low fees. Love it.

Good to know that Mike.
    My friend was looking for one for the deliveries they make in her grocery store. I think the one she got was an iPhone credit card swipe. There was this thing that they attach to the iPhone where they can swipe the credit card.

That's the TSYS people -- a bank based in Omaha. My bank offers a system just like it. I see that the TSYS swipe rate is 0.05% less than Square, BUT they charge a $5/month fee! The fee ends up being way more than the difference for the swipe. Your friend would have to swipe 100 transactions per month just to break even on the difference.

And, with Square your friend has the option to get a reader for smart cards that also reads phone "taps". Again, for the smart/tap reader, it's a one-time fee. No monthly charge!

And... with Square she can have a register app that feeds directly into her accounting system.

Seriously; tell her to check out Square. www.square.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    That's the TSYS people -- a bank based in Omaha. My bank offers a system just like it. I see that the TSYS swipe rate is 0.05% less than Square, BUT they charge a $5/month fee! The fee ends up being way more than the difference for the swipe. Your friend would have to swipe 100 transactions per month just to break even on the difference.

And, with Square your friend has the option to get a reader for smart cards that also reads phone "taps". Again, for the smart/tap reader, it's a one-time fee. No monthly charge!

And... with Square she can have a register app that feeds directly into her accounting system.

Seriously; tell her to check out Square. www.square.com
    Will most definitely do, Mike! BTW, I remember thinking when I read square in your comment - do you know those things that you stick to your gadget so you can find them easily when you misplace them? LOL - Had to review my question in case I made a mistake

LOL. Nope not one of those. (But those are cool too.)