Amazon just brought out an "All-New Kindle for Kids" bundle.

Some features seem like a good idea, but is this just a piece of the inevitable path that we're on, or is it a bad idea?

When I go out to work on folks' computers and WiFi and such, I see kids with iPads and such all the time. It actually kind of amazes me how many kids have their very own iPads. Whole families with a fortune in electronic gizmos as part of their everyday environment -- as if they belong.

They make me feel a bit reactionary sometimes. Like Monty Python, licking the road clean before school. But, clearly, it's just a part of the way things are these days. A kid's got to have her tablet.

Here comes Amazon with "Kindle for Kids." They promise, "The all-new Kindle for Kids Bundle includes the latest Kindle e-reader without sponsored screensavers, a kid-friendly cover, plus a 2-year worry-free guarantee." (Emphasis added by me.)

Taking the commercials out is goodness, and from seeing how kids' tablets can be treated, the two-year "worry-free" guarantee (i.e.; replaced even if broken) is nearly a necessity -- or at least a very good idea for parents!

But still, and even though it is not a game infested, web-connected font of all evil, it is still an electronic gizmo being inserted into a kid's life.

Is this a good thing?

The answer, from Amazon's point of view, is that it also says that this new thinner and lighter Kindle, "offers more than 250,000 children's titles and can power up a young reader's vocabulary with tools like Word Wise and Vocabulary Builder. They can also set reading goals and track progress with Kindle FreeTime." (Emphasis is their's this time.)

Thinking of myself as a kid, it's definitely a good thing. First, because it's a gizmo! But, as a kid who was always being told to "put down that book and go outside!" -- well, it's a zillion books in a convenient (read: hidable) package!

Thoughts?

BTW: it's a hundred bucks ($99.99) at Amazon.com