Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rape culture- Starts at middle school?

Re: Rape culture- Starts at middle school?

Quote Originally Posted by jolau View Post
    I had a rather long-winded conversation with a libertarian about transgenderism and individual rights. And like most conservative/libertarians, he says your physical biology should dictate which restroom you use, not how you "feel".
    Then that ain't no libertarian. He's just another selfish and unaware person.

I'll never understand Libertarianism, or how you can be Christian and be a Libertarian. Especially if this is someone who still subscribes to the traditional gender assignments imposed on us by religion.

Quote Originally Posted by jolau View Post
    I think one problem is, they do not understand the subtle differences between the various degrees of transgenderism. What he is expecting is a cross-dresser. Someone who is cross-dressing basically as a disguise in order to go to places where they wouldn't be allowed under normal circumstances, or as some sort of act (Things we've seen in sitcoms ranging from I Love Lucy to Roseanne, or a number of Bugs Bunny cartoons).
    But we're talking about people who have actually gone through the surgery, the surgery is near-perfect, and now they appear as if they are members of the opposite gender.

The other problem is, conservatives view this as men accepting feminine traits, and/or giving up their reproductive abilities. I've heard Dr. Laura complain about this a few years ago, in which she says this is all about the "feminization" of boys. Everything from ADHD diagnoses, to the accepting of gays and trans, to the secularization of public schools. It all contributes to a rigid definition of what it means to be a man, as well as what it means to be a woman. And if you don't meet that definition, then something is "wrong" with you.
    Also, some of the issues for others is that transgender people seems to some others as a foreign concept in the sense that they don't either understand it and, as you say they think something is wrong with the person. Although some will never accept the concept I do think that it's another one of the parts of society that will be less demonized over time just like interracial marriage, gay lifestyles, etc. issues have changed over the years.